*** 2005 A4 cab question - performance

Hi there,

I'm looking at the 2005 A4. I've driven the Quattro versions of the

3.2L sedan and the 3.0L cab. The cab's performance was, to say the least, disappointing. Basically, no low-end torque. Punch the 3.2 sedan and it responds immediately while the 3.0 cab just whines. Serious lack of acceleration. I know that there are a number of differences between the 3.2 sedan and the 3.0 cab (that is, not just the 30 hp difference) and the dealer tells me that one of the factors affecting the cab's performance is the Quattro system. He has a FWD version of the 3.0 cab and he is arranging for me to take a test drive of that car.

So my questions:

Has anyone driven the new A4 cabs and do you notice the same lack of acceleration?

Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with the 3.0 A4 cabs (or the 3.2 sedans) they would like to share? If you have one, would you recomment it?

I will be testing the FWD version of the cab this week and I'll see if it performs better than the Quattro, but does anyone have an opinion on FWD vs Quattro. Is the Quattro really all that much better than FWD? I live in sunny southern California, so there is no ice or snow to worry about.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments you guys/gals have on these A4's.

Thanks, Zag

P.S. I'm not really interested in a turbo version.

Reply to
zagat

Well, I can make some comments on FWD vs quattro - where you live, it may not be a big deal weather-wise - but quattro is intended to be a performance enhancement was well as foul-weather assistance. The weight difference is around 150 pounds, FWD being less, of course.... Remember, you're really comparing 2 different cars, the 2005.5 sedans being fairly significantly redesigned versus the 2005 Cabriolet, which is based on the 2002 - 2005 sedans...

Having recently returned from a few days in the LA area, I don't think the performance advantages of quattro would make that much difference.... Other than in the canyons around malibu, I can't think of where you could go fast enough to use it!!

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response. Please see below.

Do you have any idea if there will be a 2005.5 version of the Quattro cab anytime soon? My dealer says no but I would hate to miss out on a

3.2L Quattro cab by a month or two. I've checked the Audi website but couldn't find anything.

I agree with you. The Quattro is not really necessary for the way I drive. I don't take curves at 100+ and when it rains I actually leave extra room between me and the car ahead!

I am concerned (a bit) about how the FWD cab handles (I've only driven RWD cars in the past). I haven't gotten to take a test drive yet - tomorrow is the scheduled day - but I'm hoping that the FWD is a bit peppier than the Quattro. If not, I don't know what to do. I like the cab but its performance compared to the 3.2L sedan is simply anemic.

Anyway, thanks again for you comments. If you have anything to say about anything I've written, above, please feel free to do so.

Also, anyone else who has any thoughts on the A4 sedan vs cab, feel free to chime in. I appreciate any and all comments.

Zag

Reply to
zagat

There's no sign of a 3.2 cab in the UK yet, so I would guess not.

Reply to
Peter Bell

I did a quick search on AudiWorld and did not see anything regarding an updated Cab, so it may not be until next year. If you really want the cab, I consider a 24-month lease on the sedan and turn that in for a Cab when the lease expires......

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Thanks for the info. I guess it's just not happening anytime soon.

-Zag

Reply to
zagat

Thanks. That seems to be the situation.

Zag

Reply to
zagat

You will find that a FWD handles a lot better then the RWD. For example, when you make a turn, depending on how fast you are going and the road conditions, you will find that the FWD pulls you through the turn as the RWD pushes you through. Advantages are that when being pulled you can go a little faster in your turns. Fishtailing is no more an option unless you are looking to do that. I'd take a FWD over a RWD any day and a Quattro over both. While you may not need it for your driving style, you'll be glad you had it in an emergency.

Also if you are looking to race, and from the sounds of your post you might be looking at that angle, then go with a RWD. They have the best jump out the gate. Other then that what difference does a few seconds make?

Reply to
Robert