Difference between AWD and FWD

I have a 98 Outback, and I also have AWD what is the difference between AWD and FWD??? John

Reply to
RBCC

ALL and FRONT

-John O

Reply to
John O

For me, it usually means the difference between getting there... or not.

If you are in need of a more technical explanation, I'd do a Google search of these forums, I remember quite a few techie discussions a few years back.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

canadiandriver.com has a nice article on that.

Perhaps you mean "the difference between AWD and 4WD?" I believe AWD is "smarter" in that it "figures out" where to apply power. e.g. Subaru AWD and Audi Quattro, etc. vs. original Land Rover 4WD.

Reply to
Juhan Leemet

ALL and FRONT

-John O

There's AWD, FWD, RWD, 4WD meaning All, Front, Rear, and 4(and I suppose

2WD, which can be front or rear). The distinction that Subaru generally makes is between AWD and 4WD. There's an explanation of this at Subaru's web site.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Sharpe

To put it in a perspective, an AWD will get 19 MPG where a FWD will get 26 MPG.

AWD will get you thru heavy snow and rain but the tradeoff is significant less on the miles-per-gallon versus a FWD car of comparable design. Something to consider when purchasing a Subaru/FHI, which is Japanese for "gas hog".

Reply to
Sys Hiphlus

ews:Xns952D15E3D5D3Fnewsgroupsveinet@216.196.97.132...

I consistently get 25-26 mpg in the city with my 2002 VDC-H6 3.0. Very reasonable for 212 hp and 210 ft/lbs of torque. Go back to your cave.

Reply to
John A.

... and I get 23-24 mpg in my Forester XT. I understand that the non-Turbo Foresters get upwards of 27 mph (and they're AWD, just like my turbo version).

To make a meaningful comparison, use a car that's available in both FWD and AWD. I pulled up the EPA figures for a 2003 Audi A4 sedan with automatic transmission. The FWD version gets 20/29 city/highway and the quattro (AWD) version gets 19/28. Based on these figures, I'd expect that I'm paying about a 1 mpg penalty for having AWD on my Forester. And it's worth noting that I wouldn't have even considered the Forester were it not for its AWD.

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

Of course, I meant mp*g* not mp*h*! The non-turbo Foresters might not be as fast as mine, but they're not *that* bad. :-)

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt

On a dryness way, fuel consumption of FWD(front-wheel-drive) car has few than a AWD(all/four-wheel drive) car. However, on a snow way, they are replaced frequently.

Although it returns to the starting point of a question, I think that the advantage of a AWD car is in the stability at the time of acceleration.

Hideo

Reply to
Hideo

Do you mean 4WD instead of F(ront)WD?

In message - "DAW" writes: :>

:>> For me, it usually means the difference between getting there... or not. :>>

:>> If you are in need of a more technical explanation, I'd do a Google search :>> of these forums, I remember quite a few techie discussions a few years :>back. :>>

:>> -Matt :>>

:>>

:>

:>