40k mile tune up

I have a 2001 A4 2.8 and it was due for the 40,000 mile tune up. I have an extended warrenty so I didn't think much of it to bring it in. The Audi place called me to say I needed front brake pads also for $350. I said go ahead with it and then they called back when it was ready. When I went to pick it up the bill was $920!!!!!!! The 40,000 mile tune up was over $500!!!! Almost a grand for brake pads and a tune up. What a rip off!!! I will never buy from Audi or this dealer again!

Reply to
Brian

Just out of curiosity:

What did they do for the 500$? And what's a tune up?

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Didn't you get a price before you booked the car in?

Any premium brand will cost you when you go to the dealers. Why don't you find a trustworthy independent near you and use them for servicing. Even if it invalidates your warranty it'll probably still be cheaper.

Reply to
Dave

Not sure why you're blaming Audi for this, but can understand why you'd be PO'd at the dealer. For sure I'd have gotten a quote up front, and checked my warranty to see whether it was covered....

OTOH - I asked my dealer to do a brake fluid flush, assuming that it was NOT covered by the 'Audi Advantage' free maintenance program and was fully prepared to pay for it. When I got the car back, it was covered under warranty, which pleasantly surprised me.....

You definitely need to find an independent shop for these types of things.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

If its 5 years old regardless of its mileage I would also get a timing belt fitted if not already done, better to be safe than sorry,

Ste.D

Reply to
Steve68s

"Brian" wrote

The extended warranty doesn't cover normal maintenace like the original warranty did. The 40K service consists of a number of things such as oil, filters (engine, cabin), sparkplugs, brake fluid (if it's been 2 years since the last time it was changed). I remember I once inquired about just the sparkplugs change on my 1.8T (4 sparkplugs, not 6), and they wanted around $200 for parts and labor. When you go to the dealer, you have to be prepared their parts prices as well as labor rates will be higher than anywhere else.

Any you think it'll be a different story with any other premium brand/dealer? Keep dreaming...

Cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete

Two things for you:

1) Find a good independent that specializes in Audi/VW and it will save you some $$$$, especially on the maintenance intervals.

2) Don't ever purchase a Lexus if you think the Audi prices are high...:-)

Reply to
Curtis Newton

"Steve68s" wrote

Good suggestion.

Are the 2.8 engines plagued by premature TB/tensioner failures as much as the 1.8Ts?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Audi UK now recommend a timing belt change at four yearly intervals on all engines (except the RS6, which is three years).

Reply to
Peter Bell