89 Audi 200 Electrical Problem

I have a 2.4 amp electrical drain on my battery when the car is not running and the ignition is off, per tests at Sears showing my Diehard battery being in good shape. There are no light bulbs on in the trunk, under the hood, in the glovebox secretly burning. I know the car computer, clock and alarm all draw some current when the ignition is off, but these would total far less than 2.4 amps (which is running the car battery down). If there was a direct short in some wiring, it would be far more than 2.4 volts and probably burn the offending wire. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Reply to
Larus

Larry, Assuming that you have already used a multimeter to establish the current draw (unless you are a good guesser and stated 2.4 amps off the top of your head), you just remove and re-insert fuses in the panel until you find a significant drop in current draw from the battery. When you find the offending circuit, check the relays on the circuit (including the ones under the dash) and the rest of the electrical control boxes on the line before tracing wires - which the Bentley manual will help you with. Often times the draw is caused by a stuck relay (such as the one that keeps the lights on in the car for a while after the doors are closed). Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

It appears it was the car phone causing the problem. Larus

Reply to
Larus