'99 Corolla Starter Problem?

Hi,

I have a '99 Corolla. I went to start it and no indication of the starter trying to turn the engine. The lights... work fine. No dimming of the lights when I try to start the car.

The only two things I can think is the starter or something with the after market alarm system.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
Sheldon

Assuming the alarm works, you can check the starter solenoid (one that's activated by the ignition switch). And then the gear solenoid in the starter.

Or -- take the starter to Autozone or NAPA for free checkup.

Reply to
johngdole

The lights in a car can work even though the battery is too weak to engage the starter, so check the battery voltage. You should have at least 11.5 volts. If you do not have a volt meter, try jump starting.

If the battery is more than 5 years old, consider replacing it.

If the battery is good, check for 12 volts at the starter. If there is 12 volts at the starter, the starter solenoid may be worn.

Aftermarket alarm systems are fairly troublesome and cause a lot of no-start conditions, either because of parasitic draw, poor installation, or alarm malfunction.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas. It turned out that the shifter was not engaging the neutral start switch.

Reply to
Sheldon