A6 quattro 2,8 - 99 - BRAKES PROBLEM!

Today I wanted to move my car from spot A to spot B. Suddenly I felt that my brakes are not working properly - When I step on brake pedal - almost NOTHING happened !!!!

I had to step on brake VERY STRONG if I wanted to stop (I almost crashed near by parked cars ...)

The brake pedal worked only if I step on it with FULL STRENGHT !

After few minutes everything was OK but I am very afraid to drive ...

Any ideas about what happened and what to be done to fix this problem?!

Regards

Niksa

Reply to
Supreme

Niska

Were your brake discs wet? This is a problem with Audis I have experienced it with both A4s I have owned. When you brake for the first time the pads run on a film of water and there is no braking until that water is cleared from the discs. Just like aquaplaning. Pumping the brake pedal does help, but it is a worrying thing when it happens. That is my experience anyway, hope this helps

Reply to
John

John, Nope, brake weren't wet. Anyway, car was parked in the garage for a two days ... Maybe that could be a clue ...

Niksa

Reply to
Supreme

Niska

Could there have been a thin layer of rust on the discs? this would possibly produce the same symtoms.

experienced

Reply to
John

Almost undoubtedly a light coating of rust on the disks. It's very common, normal, and there's no way to avoid it in conditions where condensation can form on the disks (high humidity + low nighttime temperatures = dew). Simply be aware of it for the first few stops after letting the car sit for more than a day or so. If the time is longer, expect more rust and even nasty scraping/grinding noises. Still perfectly normal and to be expected.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger