Another stuck window on Audi A6

Hi,

A few weeks ago my RHS front window would open but would get stuck about a third of the way back and then it would reopen fully. I had to push the window closed manually. I took it to my local Audi dealer and they said it was the seals and regulator and charged me £250!

Now (only a few weeks later) the LHS front window exhibits the same fault! I can't afford another £250 - can anyone tell me how to do this job? (There's no Haines manual yet for the recent A6 AFAIK).

TIA, Mark

Reply to
nowhere

In article , snipped-for-privacy@home.com writes

Oddly enough this is a known 'problem' on the TTs windows. It's supposed to have been fixed with a new motor containing updated software.

Dunno if it's the same on the A6, how old is the car?

Reply to
Tim Puffett

Argghl..

On my A6 it was just the plastic sliders on the rails which broke. A few Euro in parts cost and 20 minutes labor from my Audi dealer. No big deal. In your case I would really remove the trim of the door and check if the plastic sliders grabbing the window and the rail are broken. If they are broken, they just jam and don't allow the window to fully close. The friction gets to high and the safety systems says "Something is blocking the window - reopen".

A manual closure is usually possible (by pulling the window up by hand) because you offload the jammed sliders, reducing the friction.

And one other thing: If those sliders are broken I would go back to the dealer asking them to explain why they charged you that amount of mones for such a little thing.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Thanks for the reply. Is there any trick to removing the trim?

Mark

Reply to
nowhere

snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

I believe there is a procedure for taking off the door panel on audiworld.com, but if i recall, there is a small screw on either side of the panel at the top. I don't recall any other screws, but i would check. Once the screws are removed the panel lifts straight up off of clips that secure it. There will be electrical connectors and the door handle mechinism preventing you from moving it very much. If your problem is the same as mine, you don't even need to pull the panel. Look at the back edge, inside where the glass slides (you may need a flashlight). Look for a worn groove. This was my problem. The groove allowed the glass to rotate toward the rear and act as a locking cam. The motor would think something was caught and stop trying. The window would go up if i were pulling at the top of it toward the inside of the car (or pushing from the outside). This kept the glass out of the groove that had worn. An obvious problem for my fingers at the top. I used an excess length of 1-inch diameter "poly-pipe" used for lawn irrigation systems and cut a ~3mm width (with a dremel rotary tool) long enough to run a little bit more than the length of glass. I set it into the groove and it has stayed there about 6 months now by friction alone and the window works fine. The pipe i used was black and set deep enough that it isn't even visible unless the window is down and you go looking deep into the groove. I hope this is your problem because the fix is easy and more importantly CHEAP.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

OK, that could be a bit lengthy. I'll try. There is a manual from H.R. Etzold in german "So wird's gemacht" for the A6 which describes it.

Step one might not really be neccessary. In my book it just comes before step 2, but if I look at the drawings, the trim really might come off without step 1 as well. Possibly you can not place it aside then as the switch assy will be connected to the door, but for a first look this could be ok.

1.) Remove the electric window switches:

there is a small hole on the internal door handle on the lower front end of the handle under the electric switch assy. You have to insert a flathead screwdriver into that hole until you feel resistance. The screwdriver now is sitting against a plastic nose which snapped the complete switch assy into place.

You have to pry the tip of the screwdriver towards the back of the car now. This will press the plastic nose backwards and at the same time you need to press the screwdriver carefully upwards. This pushes the complete assy upwards and out.

| |door handle _|_ | / nose |I I I-- screwdriver

| |door handle ___| | / nose |I I I-- screwdriver

Disconnect the assembly from the harness, but be careful about the locking mechanisms of the connector.

2.) Remove the trim

High up on the door trim, facing to the front and the back of the car there are two screws. One facing each direction. Unscrew them. Lift the trim some 20 cm up unhooking it at the top. There are several plastic supports at the lower side of the door holding the door in place at that edge. I guess one has to be careful not to break them.

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Hi,

Thanks to all for the help - I think I'll have a go at it myself.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
nowhere

I had this same problem. Garage replaced the motor. They recommended I change the regulator as well as they said it was worn and may cause a problem in the future. Total bill was over three hundred pounds. nearer 400 actually. I am now concerned that according to this thread the motor may have had nothing to do with the problem! Car has only done 30K miles, 5 yrs old though.

Anyway now if the other side goes I will no what to do.

Cheers Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The "regulator" *is* the "motor".

Reply to
daytripper

Reply to
John

I have now had a chance to try this but I can't get the trim off. I located and removed the two screws. However the trim does not move even when I apply some force to it. Any more force and something will break, I believe.

Does anyone have any practical experience they would be willing to share?

BTW: It's a Audi A6 Avant '99 SE

TIA, Mark

Reply to
nowhere