ASR on a 1998 A6 - How to tell if it's working?

Hi All

I have a 1998 A6 2.5 TDI 2.5 V6 and it is supposed to have "ASR" and there is a button on the dash for it. However it doesn't seem to do anything. No light on the instrument cluster or anything.

Would I notice if this feature was working or not? And what would be possible causes of it not working? I've checked with VAG-COM and the ABS module doesn't have any faults logged.

Cheers!

James

Reply to
James

If you drive on a slippery surface and accelerate hard enough to make the front wheels spin, the ASR should reduce engine power. It was certainly very noticeable on my fwd A4 2.6.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Geez. Do you know what ASR is for?

Turn the car on, find an empty road, rev it up all the way and dump the clutch. That should give you a clue if it's working.

Reply to
Dalibor Bauernfrajnd

No he doesnt hence the question,

ASR = Audi's traction control

Heres an extract taken from a website

Traction control (ASR)

For today's typical high-torque engines, a form of wheelslip regulation or traction control (ASR) can increase both comfort and safety, particularly on surfaces with differing coefficients of friction or on slippery roads. It makes smooth starts and acceleration possible through all speed ranges without wheel-spin or fishtailing. ASR only operates in conjunction with the electronic accelerator (E gas) and uses components of the anti-lock braking system (ABS). If one wheel suddenly begins to rotate faster than the others (slip), ASR intervenes in the engine management system and reduces power until the wheel stops spinning. ASR improves traction and can help the driver maintain control even if the limit of adhesion is inadvertently reached while cornering. In addition, it reduces tire wear. ASR activation, is indicated by a flashing light in the instrument cluster; it works with the electronic differential lock (EDL) and it is also part of the electronic stabilization program (ESP). ASR can be deactivated with the ESP switch

begin 666 0.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/_______R'Y! 44``$`+ `````!``$```("3 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Ron

Thanks for your replies, I will try it out later - however from the manual I was under the impression that pushing the ASR button on the dash would temporarily disable ASR and the light in the cluster would come on to say it's off. This doesn't happen on mine - and I'm trying to find out if it's the button, lamp, or something more serious that isn't working.

Thanks!

James

Reply to
James

That is correct. If ASR is enabled and gets activated, the ASR indicator should light/flash to indicate that it's operating.

Odd!

Reply to
Peter Bell

Indeed... well I have been testing some things tonight, and so far it just looks like the bulb is gone. Would anyone here like to hook up VAG-COM to their ABS system and tell me what (if anything) happens in measuring block

003 and 004 when you push the ASR button?

Cheers

James

Reply to
James