Q: A6 -96 Service signal (In 1) lit, how to check

Some days ago the service/inspection signal was lit in the instrument panel of my Audi A6 -96. In the trip meter, there's "In 1" characters blinking for 60 seconds when the engine is started.

Services have beed done, so all I want to do is shut down the signal. Local repairman had the VAG-Com -software, but he was unable to contact the instrument panel with it. He suspected that the service signal is shut from the instrument panel with correct pressing of the buttons. He could contact other parts of the car (e.g. ABS, gears) but not the instrument panel.

All the manuals which I have are in german, and although I do speak and read some german, I can't figure out how this should be do.

So if someone could tell me how it should be done, I'd be very grateful. My last hope would be not-so-cheap local dealer.

Reply to
Tero Patana

Someone sent me this for an A4. I never tried it as I actually went to my local dealer for something else and thet reset it.

1.. Insert your key into the ignition. 2.. Push in the odometer reset button, hold it in, and turn the key to the first click. 3.. The display should read either "oil" or "service" if it does not, repeat steps #1 and #2. 4.. To reset, pull out your instrument light dimmer button at the bottom of the tachometer. 5.. Turn the ignition to the off position. When the ignition is turned back on, the display should be back to the trip odometer. Note: This procedure has been confirmed on '98 and '99 model year A4's.

Give it a try.

Reply to
Tony Curran

Have to try this one too. Some pages refer that the resetting is done (only?) with VAG-com, but if the local repairman couldn't get it work, why should it work at the local Audi dealer?

-Tero

Reply to
Tero Patana