Audi Symphony II.. in-dash AND external CD changer?

Hi,

I'll be taking delivery of an Audi A3 with Symphony II head unit. I asked for a CD changer also, and the dealership mentioned that there will be one in-dash.

I was wondering if the Symphony II also supports a separate connection for an "external" CD changer. I got the Dension ice>Link

for the iPod, whichsupports the Symphony, and it seems to attach to the CD changer connectorson the head unit. Are there two sets, one "in-dash", and another"external"?

I'd like to know if I can use the CD changer AND iPod by selecting the inputs on the Symphony II head unit.

Thanks for your help! :)

..Ray ekoSheren inc. awaits..

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

In article , eko writes

Out of interest, what's the difference between the Symphony & Symphony II?

All the A3 stuff I've seen just mentions the word Symphony, I don't recall having ever seen anything saying Symphony II. Is this an option or do all A3s come with S2?

Reply to
Toby Groves

Hmm.. I have no clue either I'm afraid. I think it has the 6 CD changer in-dash, but not sure of the original Symphony had it too..?

There's a (very) brief piece of text on it on the Audi USA site..

Hopefully, it'll also have the external CD changer connection and interface, so I can hook up the iPod to it.. :)

..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

"eko" wrote in news:3fd4a6aa_1@127.0.0.1:

Actually, the answer to both our questions are on this page Toby..

Hope this is of use! :)

..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

In article , eko writes

Excellent!, many thanks :)

It is the S2 I'm getting then - car arrives tomorrow!

Reply to
Toby Groves

Cool! Is it the A3 1.9 TDi that you mentioned before? Hopefully get my 1.6 FSI on 2 January.. and hope those guys can install this iPod interface thing I got to the S2 also.. :)

..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

In article , eko writes

It's the 2.0 TDI, and it arrived yesterday. Bloody superb is all I can say, well happy with it.

Only slight bummer is that it had the Concert II, rather than the Symphony II in it. It transpires that my boss was responsible for the error, rather than the dealer, so they can't be held accountable. They've said the S2 can't be retrofitted, so the only option would be to have a CD changer fitted. The only place this can go is in the glovebox, and it would cost a fortune to fit, so my boss isn't prepared to fork out for it. He's sorry for the mistake but I can't really press it when they've just forked out $21k+ for the car! So I shall make do with a single CD instead of the changer. Not the end of the world, but a bit of a shame.

Apart from that I have no complaints whatsoever. All the other options I specified are present and correct, so I've got seriously comfortable seats and loads of toys to play with :))

Reply to
Toby Groves

Cool! Glad you got your new car! It's a pity you didn't get the Symphony II that you wanted, but the Concert II is pretty good (I had it in the test car I drove) and you could add a changer later if you wished, as you said. Btw, what edition is the car? I think in the UK, you have the standard, then SE, then Sport, right? What other extras are in there? :)

Can't wait to get mine (couple of weeks now!), though it's definitely miles less powerful than your one. :)

..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

In article , eko writes

It's an SE, with these options:

Ebony black paint Front foglights Leather/alcantara sports seats Electric lumbar adjustment Bose sound system Driver Info System Multi-function steering wheel

Well it's only done 160miles so far, so I'm not giving it serious stick just yet, but even giving it part throttle, it goes like stink.

I've been told that the add-on autochanger goes in the glovebox, and to add it now would required a whole new glovebox fitted, plus the changer, costing over £500, plus I'd lose most of the glovebox space. Don't think I can be bothered with that just for the convenience of six discs compared to one. It's easy enough to keep a few discs loose in the tray below the aircon controls and switch them on the move.

Reply to
Toby Groves

try this web site (look at the bottom of the page). It says a6 is pre-wired for external cd changer (i'm assuming you have a 2003). Also, the symphany II radio does support 2 devices at one time - you just push the "CD" button on the radio to select between the 2. I am trying to adapt an alpine XM tuner to the external CD connection. my email is snipped-for-privacy@att.net if you'd like more info. MIke

Reply to
devron12

I've got an A6 (2002) with Symphony and BOSE. 6CD changer in head unit and another 6CD unit in the boot.

No probs, although the resistances are slightly different, so that I have to turn the vol. up a wee bit more (maybe 5%) for the boot-mounted CDs. My solution is to put all the classical music in the head and the rock music in the boot unit!

HTH

PMJ

pre-wired for external cd changer (i'm assuming you have a 2003). Also, the symphany II radio does support 2 devices at one time - you just push the "CD" button on the radio to select between the 2. I am trying to adapt an alpine XM tuner to the external CD connection. my email is snipped-for-privacy@att.net if you'd like more info. MIke

Reply to
Peter Judge