Audi 100 '89 ISV Part No confusion

I was looking at eBay for ISV for my 5-cyl '89 Audi 100. There are few, but the ones that look like the one I have in my car have BOSCH part no

0 280 140 512 and 0 280 140 516. They look exactly the same (on eBay photo).

I looked at one in my Audi, but part No is not visible any more. Anyone knows what is the difference between these two BOSCH parts? Can I get 512 or 516?

Not convinced that sellers on eBay can provide exact information, and I would not want to buy wrong ISV.

Reply to
Yvan

As far as I know, some have two electrical connectors and some have three. That's probably the only thing you need to worry about.

Both part numbers show up in a Google search. You may want to plough through the links.

Reply to
Grizzly

Nedavno Grizzly pise:

| On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:25:48 +0100, Yvan wrote: | | >I was looking at eBay for ISV for my 5-cyl '89 Audi 100. There are | >few, but the ones that look like the one I have in my car have BOSCH | >part no 0 280 140 512 and 0 280 140 516. They look exactly the same | >(on eBay photo). | >

| >I looked at one in my Audi, but part No is not visible any more. | >Anyone knows what is the difference between these two BOSCH parts? | >Can I get 512 or 516?

| As far as I know, some have two electrical connectors and some have | three. That's probably the only thing you need to worry about.

Both 512 and 516 have two pin electrical connectors. And on photo both look exactly the same. I was thinking if there is some difference mechanically or electronically.

| Both part numbers show up in a Google search. You may want to plough | through the links.

I did, but I could find no difference.

Reply to
Yvan

As long as it has two electrical connectors, it should be fine - they're not exactly rocket science. I've got a few of them myself - I'll have a look at the part numbers for you.

BTW have you tried cleaning out the one you've got?

Reply to
Grizzly

Nedavno Grizzly pise:

| As long as it has two electrical connectors, it should be fine - | they're not exactly rocket science. I've got a few of them myself - | I'll have a look at the part numbers for you.

| BTW have you tried cleaning out the one you've got?

Yes I did. Actually I am not sure that ISV is my problem. It's a long story. I have dual fuel petrol - LPG powered Audi 100 and idle problem (stalling) both when on petrol and LPG, only when on LPG it is more noticeable.

I checked hoses for any vacuum leak, and couldn't find any. So I solved my problem (kind of) by cutting a wire from ISV to fuel injection control unit (under right side kick panel), and connecting it to rear fog light switch. Now I can start with ISV on, and for a few minutes engine runs on higher rpm idle. When engine gets warmer, I hit the switch, disconnect ISV, and engine will not stall.

Interesting thing is that engine when warmer that 50 deg Celsius runs fine without ISV connected. Am I right then to assume that I have no vacuum leaks?

There are some used ISV-s on eBay that are not expensive, so I was thinking of buying one and see if ISV is my problem.

Reply to
Yvan

I couldn't really say for sure. One thing I have noticed with these

5-cylinder engines (particularly the earlier ones, i.e. up to 1988 or so) is that a poor connection at the temperature sensors (near the thermostat) will give the same kind of stalling problems that you mention.

A used ISV may be no better than what you already have.

Reply to
Grizzly

Having said that, I couldn't read the numbers on either of mine either.

Reply to
Grizzly

Nedavno Grizzly pise:

| >As long as it has two electrical connectors, it should be fine - | >they're not exactly rocket science. I've got a few of them myself - | >I'll have a look at the part numbers for you. | | Having said that, I couldn't read the numbers on either of mine | either.

I looked a little closer at my ISV, and it looks like last three digits are 512. So you think I should do fine with 516 (two pin electrical connector as 512 is). Will keep looking at eBay... Maybe something will pop-up.

Reply to
Yvan