Multitronic or Turbo Noise

I am having problems with a persistent noise which has developed over the last 8 months on my 02 1.8T A6 47K which has the multitronic gearbox installed.

The nature of the problem is that when I accelerate between the 4,000 and 6,000 rev range there is a persistent "flapping" sound coming from the engine. At first I thought it was some trim that had come adrift due to the noise it was making.

I have had the car into the local dealership on 3 separate occasions only to be told that the noise is nothing unusal.

The car comes out of warranty in this summer and I do need to get to the root cause of the problem as I do not wish to have any expensive gearbox or turbo repairs in the future.

I have also started going through quite a lot of engine oil which is also a little concerning again to be told that this is again quite usual this type of car.

I will be taking the car back to the dealer but thought I would post the query on the board to see if anyone else had experience to help colaberate a story to present to them.

Reply to
Jerry Alcock

On an Audi noise which wasn't there to begin with is never usual. Did they explain where it comes from? I mean even if it's usual there must be a source.

What is quite a lot if I may ask?

This sounds strange. Here in Austria I would take it to the motorists club (RAC in the UK?) and have them have a look at it. Over here they can give you a good opinion, can read out the diagnostic module and things. With that I'd return to the dealership.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Turbo bypass valve?

Reply to
bogart.lloy

I am using around a 500 ml bottle for every month/1200 miles. It is not leaking as I have checked this when parking the car overnight.

I have it booked in for Wednesday morning.

Reply to
Jerry Alcock

I thought that at first, but Audi had (finally) got it fixed by then.

On the TT it is often (but not always) a "goose honking" noise, rather than a flapping sound, and there's a very noticeable drop in power.

Mine failed during the running-in period, back in 2000.

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi