Audi 100 auto-box fluid mixing with water - warning !!

I had an interesting problem develop last week. My audi 100 (K reg) started overheating & when I examined the coolant in the overflow box it was a brown colour and the texture of liquid mud. Thinking it was rust from the radiator I flushed it all out & re-filled with anti-freeze.

2 days later the auto started slipping & jerking so I checked the auto fluid level to find the fluid was a brown liquid mud type substance and had gone up by a cm on the dipstick.

You've gussed it, the auto-fluid is mixing with the radiator water - how? Well, the auto fluid is cooled by running the pipes through the radiator, and a small split has resulted in the mixing of the two. I now need a new radiator & potentially a new auto-box: unless the box can be cleaned of the liquid mud & got working again.

I beleive this is the design on all Audi's with auto transmisson - so watch out it could be an expensive repair. Audi main dealer quoted 2800 pounds for a new auto box - car is only worth

1500 pounds. Anyone know if there is a flushing fluid for an auto-box which could clean it out before new auto-fluid is put in? Any guidance is appreciated Mike
Reply to
Mike C

FYI: Just about all automatic transmissions use the same feature.

Reply to
MVGESQ

I've read somwhere that there are water-soluble adhesives used in a lot of autoboxes to glue the brake band friction surfaces to the bands themselves. This means very bad news, I'm afraid. :-(

Reply to
Chris Bartram