Hot auto fluid, 850 GLT auto

Just been to the south of France (great). I had to drive on a long descent down through the mountains to the coast. this was a distance of about 14 miles some of it quite steep. It was a hot (35C) day.

I was using the lower gears in the auto box to keep the cars pace steady, rather than use the brakes ( I have experienced brake fade before on other cars). The local drivers seem to drive like crazy and brake hard for the corners then go hell for leather for the next corner. My pace was more sedate as I was on holiday and I had the wife with me.

When we did stop I noticed 'that' smell of hot oil and although the temp gauge showed all was OK . When I checked the auto box fluid was decidedly brown rather than red, so its got pretty hot. No problems with the car it still drove fine.

My question is (for general interest)......to readers of this group who live in mountainous areas.... Do You use the lower gears to slow the car? combination of gears and brakes or buy a car with a manual box.

ttfn.....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross