Audi 2.5 TDI engine longevity

Hi everybody. Can anybody with experience give me a rough estimate on how many kilometres can I expect from 2.5 TDI vw/audi 5 cylinder 103 kW engine. I have been driving it for 32.000 kms so far, and now it has 280.000 kms.

It has an average yearly consumption of only 6,47 l/100km, and it doesn't use a drop of oil between changes (8000-9000 km intervals). I use semi synthetic 10w-40.

Should I use full synthetic 5w-40 oil instead? And would it start to consume full synthetic oil cause it's not so dense like 10w-40? Or is it better to stick with this oil since the engine has so many kms?

Enjoying the ride :-) THNX in advance.

Reply to
Drnya

This is a great engine, and should be good for many more kms yet, BUT... it's vital that you make sure the cambelt AND the waterpump are changed regularly. The belt drives the waterpump and these have a habit of seizing, taking the belt (and the pistons) with it.

I had an A6 with this engine. It had had a new cylinder head when I bought it at 100,000 miles (160,000 km), and I suspect this was a result of a cambelt failure. Certainly I know that my belt failure (only 10,000 miles after replacing the belt) at 180,000 miles was caused by the water pump.

Your consumption figure is almost identical to what I achieved.

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Morton

THNX :-) I did change all that when I bought the car. Yes - it's a great engine with lots of power :-)

:-(

Yes - it's amazing. People do not believe it.

Thnx for the info. Bye,

Reply to
Drnya

If this vehicle is serviced at regular intervals at the Audi dealership there is a good chance that the vehicle will run to 300000 to 400000 Kms unless of course you are unlucky and have a severe mechanical failure that could happen to any vehicle.

Reply to
rockfanatic