5w-20 synthetic oil?

My new 2004 v6 awd VUE owner manual says to use 5W-20 oil. Is there any oil manufacture that makes 5W-20 synthetic oil? Saturn service manager claims that running anything higher than 5W-20 will dame engine. I only use synthetic oil but now I am having a hard time finding a synthetic in that weight range.

Reply to
Rusty Shackleford

A Google search for 5W-20 synthetic shows that Amsoil and Royal Purple both make a synthetic oil in this weight.

This link raises some interesting points.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

Also Mobil 1.

From their web site:

Product Description Mobil 1 0W-20, Power and Performance Formula, is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide the ultimate level of power, and protection to keep engines running smoothly and cleanly. Mobil 1

0W-20 exceeds the requirements of the latest gasoline and diesel powered automobile engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 is the ideal product for high revolution and output four and six cylinder cars where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 viscosity lubricant is recommended.
Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I once bought 5W-50, rather than 5W-30 by mistake, it was a hot summer, so I used it anyway, and didn't notice any difference.

Reply to
Skid

Look at your user manual. 10W-30 is for temps in the 80 degree range. When it get cold it's suggested 5W-20.

There is syntheic. You can go to the 0-20 Mobil 1 (used in Corvetts for a few years now) I just picked up some 5W20 synthetic but forget who makes it. Go to a LARGE auto store with many oil choices. It's called Syntech something. You can get the blend but still have to change it 3K. I have used synthetic since

1988 and I trade in at 60 - 95K and they never burn, leak or use oil. ALWAYS wait for the 3000 miles before changing to synthetic. Amsoil - sold on the web or specific stores. It cost more.. Mobil 1 is better and cheaper by .30-.50 cents a can. If you can, get it in the 5 quart containers. Cheaper yet. Due to the closer tolerances, the thinner oil is needed. Mainly on startup and COLD starting. So if you live in 5 degree areas. 5w or 0w gets the oil flowing faster.

Reply to
M. Butkus

Myself, I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 during the warm months and 5W-30 during the winter in my Saturn. In my Dodge Dakota I use 10W-30 year-round. In my 1950 Ford 8N tractor I use 15W-50 year-round.

Ken

revolution

viscosity

manager claims

Reply to
Napalm Heart

The guy that wrote that web page was an idiot. Why is it that all the "dealers" that sell Amsoil misrepresent what the Magnuson - Moss Act states. GM / Honda can't tell you that you must buy "their" oil to maintain your warranty, but they can certainly tell you that you must buy oil that meets certain specs. Using the arguments put forth by the referenced page, you could run straight 50 weight oil in your engine in Alaska in January and not void the warranty.

If you want a true synthetic, Mobil makes a true synthetic

0W-20 oil that meets the Ford and Honda specs (and I assume "Saturn's" specs). The only Amsoil product that meets the specs is a highly refined petroleum based oil, and not a "true" synthetic (at least in my opinion). I have no idea about "Royal Purple" but the name just turns me off.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

This is the recommendation for most current Honda and Ford engines, as well as many Mazda engines. The Vue's V6 is designed/built by Honda.

As for "damage" - that's a lot of BS. The reason for this recommendation was to to raise fuel economy ever so slightly. Almost any engine will be tolerant of a wide range of oil viscosities, and might benefit from a higher viscosity oil depending on the conditions. I've heard reports that Mobil 1 5W-30 is extremely close to being a 5W-20 oil. You manual will likely say that 5W-30 is "acceptable".

If you want a 5W-20 oil labelled as "synthetic", then there's Castrol Syntec and Valvoline SynPower. It's been established that the Castrol Syntec sold in the US uses a type III (hydrocracked) base oil, and there was some controversy over its labelling as such. Valvoline SynPower may also use a type III base, although I've heard that it may be a true PAO/ester synthetic. Mobil 1 0W-20 may be the closest you'll get; Mobil claims its an acceptable substitute for 5W-20.

The original Mobil 1 formula (sold over 20 years ago) was a 5W-20 oil. I heard many people were hesistant to use it because it wasn't anywhere close the 10W-30 or 10W-40 that was recommended for most cars at the time.

Reply to
y_p_w