98 Excel - Which Brand of oil? 15w40 also?

Hi

My 98 Excel has about 99,000 km's or 60,000 miles on the clock.

I'd like to change the oil and filter.

I've been advised to use a semi-synthetic oil, with a grade of 15w40?

Any recommended brand of oil and grade to use in this car?

Each dealer seems to have a differing and sometimes conflicting opinion.

What are people using in these cars?

Thanks

Darren

Reply to
Darren

I hope this isn't the first time you've changed your oil! ;-)

Advised by whom?

Unless you live in a very hot climate, there's no need to use a 15W oil. If you live in an area where it gets cold, you definitely DON'T want a

15W oil. A 10W oil is plenty for most conditions. If you look in the owner's manual, you'll find recommendations for oils for various environmental conditions. If in doubt, it's hard to go wrong with 10W-30 or 10W-40. Lighter oils such as 5W-30 are recommended for most newer engines.

As for semi-synthetic, that's up to you. It will provide better protection than a natural oil, but not as much as a full synthetic. Many people advise against switching to full synthetic in a car with high mileage on it, which may be why a semi-synthetic was recommended. However, 60K miles is not exactly "high mileage".

Natural oils work just fine as long as you change them at reasonable intervals. Again, the owner's manual will provide you with change interval recommendations that are based on the use of natural oil.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Darren,

Here is the oil spec from Webtech2000.