Audi A3.. 1.6 or 1.6 FSI..?

Hi,

I've been thinking of getting a new 2003 Audi A3 1.6. I know there will be a 1.6 FSI model going into production around October. The price difference where I am (Ireland) between the two models is about 2000 Euros, which to me is quite a bit for a 5 BHP difference.

Of course, you do apparently get a "leaner-burning" engine and better miles per gallon. What do you guys think.. is it worth the extra money?

Any insight appreciated.. cheers!

..Ray ekoSheren inc. awaits..

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

In article , eko writes

2000 Euros sounds like a hell of a big premium just for the FSI version of the 1.6, especially if it's only got an extra 5bhp.

I'd check the economy figures carefully and try to estimate how much you'll actually save. Also, are you sure the FSI won't come with some extra options included in the price, to justify that 2000?

I'm planning on getting an A3 myself, but it will be the diesel.

Reply to
Toby Groves

In Germany, the difference is only ?1250. I don't know if or why its more in other countries.

Also, the difference is not 5 horsepowers, but 10 kW (about 13 bhp I think) ant the FSI has 6 gears.

Kai

Reply to
Kai Rode

Hi.

Don't forget about the cost of the insurance and also the taxes. Sometimes a car seems to be cheap and than...

NilsR

Reply to
Nils Rothe

In article , Kai Rode writes

13bhp, better economy & a 6sp box sounds more like it.
Reply to
Toby Groves

In article , Nils Rothe writes

Well mine will be a company car, so I don't care about insurance :)

Reply to
Toby Groves
1.8T

Dont think about it! :) The 1.6 engine will just disapoint you it is to weak.

Reply to
Dr. Who

There ia no longer a 1.8T for the new A3. There's 1.6, 1.6 FSI, 2.0 FSI, V6 and a planned 2.0 TSI (the 2.0 FSI with turbo). Plus the diesel engines of course.

Reply to
Kai Rode

Thanks Toby. 2000 Euros is quite a bit for the difference in bhp and 6 gears. With the FSI, would I need to use ultra-low sulpher fuel, like Shell Pura to gain the better fuel economy? Will have to calculate it up to see if I'd be saving anything going with the FSI rather than standard 1.6.

..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

Thanks Nils. I haven't check thoroughly with my insurance company just yet, but will the FSI yield a better insurance premium because of it's fuel economy?

Thanks. ..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

I did test drive the 1.6 car, and it's not exactly a rocket by any means. I think it was okay though, especially coming from my Peugeot 206 1.4.. :-)

Cheers! ..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

Reply to
Nils Rothe

In article , eko writes

I doubt you'd have to use a specific type of fuel to get better economy, as I believe the economic nature of the FSI comes from the design of the engine itself, thus it should yield better economy than the standard 1.6 with any given type of fuel.

Out of interest, how much more would the 2.0TDI cost over the 1.6?

Reply to
Toby Groves

In article , eko writes

The difference in the UK is £460!, inc. VAT!

Reply to
Toby Groves

The difference between the 1.6 and the 2.0 TDI is about 6550 Euros. Seems quite a lot.. what is it there?

.Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

Wow! Will have to talk to the dealer on that one! Ireland does have some crazy vehicle registration taxes, but the difference here is quite significant.

..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

In article , eko writes

Here's the UK price list:

I'd suggest taking a copy of that to your dealer, or maybe even investigating ordering one from here.

Reply to
Toby Groves

In article , eko writes

£2020 according to the official price list, which at the current exchange rate of 1.37 works out at 2767 Euros!
Reply to
Toby Groves

Thanks Toby. Phoned the dealer there, he mentioned something about market differences, exchange rate, negotiations by Audi Ireland with Audi in Germany etc.

So the price difference holds, though I was wrong about it before.. it's a difference of 1705 Euros, not 2000 as I said. He said that if I was interested I could get it down to 1500 Euro difference.

Question now is.. is it worth the extra money? There is a difference of 13 bhp, is that a lot when it comes to engine power? Fuel economy.. is it significant I wonder? He mentioned again that I'd only get full benefits from FSI using Shell Pura or similar low sulphur fuel.. you already mentioned in this thread that this is not true. Here, Pura is about 10 cent or so money expensive per litre.

On ordering from the UK.. Ireland has some strict registration taxes on importing, which negates any advantage of buying from the UK at all (in some cases, it can end up being more expensive). I guess that's why Audi Ireland are charging what they are anyway. Was a good idea though.

Sorry for the "newbie" questions, just learning as I'm going along I'm afraid.. :-|

Thanks! ..Ray

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

eko

Well, nowhere near as bad as they are here I'm afraid.. :-(

I'll do some more research on this one. I've got the sales guy down to 800 Euro extra for the FSI, so will be going for that model now.

Still, thanks for your help, it was much appreciated. :-)

Cheers! ..Ray