Audi a4 97 1.8T owner in Toronto needs help and advice

hi there - i am a new owner of a used Audi97 A4 1.8T. My friend who owns a

1.8T 99 Passat advised me this is a good ng for advice on VW and Audi cars. Recently ive been hearing a high pitched sound coming from my rear wheel while doing about 100kmh on the highway. I live in Toronto and needed to know anyone elses best advice for the following :

  1. The best price for an estimate at any Audi dealership in Toronto or GTA

  2. What the sound could be - please dont say wheel bearings :( - they arent covered by my warranty :((

  1. what the cost of a wheel bearing job would be with parts n labor.

I understand that audi dealerships that really know their stuff are hard to come by so if anyone has advice on places that 100% do not rip u off please let me know. thanx

Reply to
Mr DJ

wheel bearing

Reply to
sTINGRAY

stingray - do u have any other suggestions? like if there is a cost u know of on average for labor? because i was thinking of buying the parts on the net.

Reply to
Mr DJ

My bill for 2 front bearings was £350 done at StAlbans Audi, UK.

Cheers Matt.

Reply to
Imorital

Rear wheel bearings are more expensive to do than front's, budget £150.00 per side and do both at the same time, if you do only 1 you will hear the other one within 1000miles, so get em both done.

Thats about $550 of your canadian dollar's about

If its a Front wheel drive 1.8T it will be cheaper I would imagine.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Your service facility may not like your parts. A bearing lists for $70-ish USD. You can get them cheaper Flat rate labor is 1.5 hours

Reply to
JPF

I disagree. My experience does not show this at all. The right rear (US, LHD) is the predominant bearing that fails. I have not done many lefts You wonky folks on the wrong side of the road may see a different pattern.

Reply to
JPF

budget

My Right bearing was the first to go at 110k miles, the next one went, or should I say started hearing it, about 200 miles after..

It's false economy to only have one done imo, as you only have to book the car in and go through the pain of borrowing a loaner, getting to work etc.

Unless you are short of money. I tend to replace everyhting in pairs anyway.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

If it's a FWD car (non-quattro) it's not that big of a deal to change the bearings. You take the brake caliper off, remove the rotor, punch out the old bearing, pack new bearing with grease, press new bearing races in place, replace bearing and reassemble. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass if it's a quattro.

cheers,

Chris Mauritz

Yeah Damn drive shafts :)

Ron

Reply to
Ron

8-)

Yeah, I haven't had the pleasure of changing one on a quattro Audi yet. However, a few times when I ordered replacement rear rotors for FWD A4's, the replacement Brembo parts had no races installed so it required me to get new wheel bearings/races to change the rotors. The new rotors also didn't come with the ABS ring, so that had to be removed and pressed onto the new rotors too. fun fun fun....

cheers,

Chris Mauritz

You are all right on about this. My 97 required a right rear wheel bearing at 52,000 miles, post warranty. It cost me about $230. I was actually lucky that the ABS sensor came out (they said) because if they had damaged the sensor when they removed it, that would have cost another few hundred to replace. My 2000 had a right rear go at 43,000 miles, under warranty. My advice is that you have a shop that is experienced with this do the repair and avoid the possibility of having someone underestimate the job by overlooking the sensor.

Good luck.

Reply to
MGC

geez guys - the info is really providing to be quite useful. if its only a couple of hundred its ok i guess. it is a quattro drive car actually. and yes - it is the rear right side that is making the squealling noise. must be all the right hand turns we do in NAmerica. whatever. i guess its time to take it in.

id love to hear from someone in Toronto or GTA cus i dont know if its better to take it into a dealership or if anyone can do the job seeing as it isnt covered by my warranty.

cheers

Reply to
Mr DJ

Any decent garage can do the job, its no different then doin a normal Front wheel bearing, they can be a bit of bitch to get off, mine had to go away to be pressed off, but I did drive the car untill the noise was unbearable :)

When you all say the Rotor's/Discs have ABS rings in them, I dont remember this on mine, when I replaced the 4 disc's, is it only on some Audi's ?

Ron

Oh and my ABS still works fine, I think lol

Reply to
Ronny

There's only an ABS ring in the non-quattro rear rotors. On quattros, the ABS sensor gets the signal from the hub (the rotor is simply a disc between the hub and the actual wheel.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

ABS rings are on the CV joints on AWD cars. They are seperate rings on the rear of FWD cars. I have never actually seen a FWD A4. Why would anyone put up with all the bullshit an Audi can hand out and not get the advantage of AWD? May as well buy a Tempo. As for the Quattro ABS sensor, there is no reason to mess with it or remove it to do the wheel bearing. The bearing blows out right on the car. Even if the carrier was inadvertantly removed, the sensor simply goes along for the ride. It unplugs 2 feet away....

Reply to
JPF

Ron

Reply to