longevity of pneumatic locking system (B5 A4)

My car: 1999.5 A4 2.8Q US model, will pass 75k miles tomorrow. Runs great.

I love my car. But there are a few reasons I wish I had gotten a 2000 or 01. One is xenons (took care of that anyway). Another is digital clock (yes, minor). Another is electric locks vs pneumatic. My 2000 Jetta had electric, and when I upgraded to the 99.5 A4, I was surprised to learn I had pneumatic locking.

Does anyone have a really high mileage A4 from 1996 or 1997 or 1998? How's your pneumatic locking system holding up? Any known problems? Preventive maintenance?

Any advice appreciated.

Danke.

Reply to
Avantium

There are a lot of type 44 owners (1984 - 1991) that have pneumatic locking systems. They rarely have problems and seem to last the life of the car which on some of these is now around 300K miles. Once in a while there is a question on the forums but it is rare.

Tony '91 100Q 5spd

107K and locks are just f> My car: 1999.5 A4 2.8Q US model, will pass 75k miles tomorrow. Runs > great.
Reply to
TonyJ

They last forever. If it develops a leak, the pump runs for 30 seconds and shuts off. A couple of years of this neglect seems to wipe out the pumps. It is a maintenance-free, very reliable design. I rarely change parts on a car under 10 years old. Mercedes used a similar system, same results. It's a non-issue. At 75K, I'd worry about the timing belt, not the locks. While you're there. fix that damned oil leak at the timing adjusters.

Reply to
JPF

Good news. Whoops, I passed 74k today, not 75k. And top posting rules.

Reply to
Avantium

My '85 4000Q had 315,000 miles on it when I sold it. The pneumatic locks still worked great. Any trouble I did have could easily be located by finding the hissing noise. I don't think it gave me any trouble in the 10 years I had the car.

My wife's 94 jetta had the same system. It's only trouble was that the hose in the rear door-jam came pulled out of the connector once. So, I had to glue it back in.

I would much rather splice a split hose in a door jam than repair or replace a bundle of broken, shorting wiring harness!

From and engeering perspective, the pneumatic system is much less complicated, much, much lighter and more reliable than big clunky solenoids and switch contacts!

Gene

Reply to
Gene