Audi A4 Timing Belt with Water Pump

I was just told by my mechanic that to replace the water pump, serpentine belt and timing belt on my 96 Audi A4 would be $1200. The labor alone ran over $500. Does anyone know if this is reasonable or not? Can someone give me an estimate for labor and parts? Also if anyone knows of a link to a website which lists an estimate for how long this should take to replace, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to know if they were taking long lunches on my dime if you know what I mean.

Reply to
pwelsh777 via CarKB.com

In all of Europe, all prices are factory set for all repairs, whatever time it takes. Also there's a 2 year warranty on parts and labour.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

At $100/hour labor, I could see it. If you do it yourself it will easily take 5 hours. Also bear in mind the time for these jobs is set - they take them right out of the book. If they can do it in less time, it's to their advantage because they can schedule more jobs that way. You still pay the specified labor rate at the specified time.

Mark.

pwelsh777 via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
Old Radios
5 hours work.

$250-300 for parts timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, thermostat, serpentine belt, anti-freeze

I did it myself for $250.

Reply to
Mike Whiteman

It seems a bit on the high side unless it's a dealer doing it. Independent should be doing it for under $1000.

Reply to
Ian S

$700 for parts seems excessive. $500 for labour is probably OK. What engine is this for?

Reply to
Dave

The 1.8 (non-turbo).

Reply to
pwelsh777 via CarKB.com

I am not sure, but given that I am being charged over $1600 to change my passenger side catalytic converter, I'd say your situation is about right.

Reply to
NV_BC

Then I suggest you go elsewhere as the mechanic is ripping you off.

Reply to
Dave