timing belt change+tune up(spark plugs/wires) +water pump+etc on a 2001 toyota camry

My car is due for timing belt change, well overdue (93k miles). I was going to take it in to have a tuneup/spark plugs/wires after recently replacing the battery and still feeling a weird start up when I turn the engine on. I meanth to do the timing belt in two months but I figure nows a good a time as any since I am way overdue

Ok Mechanic Shop (franchise) is quoting about $1200 for the whole job on my 2001 toyota camry. I am told the labor on the engine+timing belt is something like $400+ alone

So the break down is something like timing belt water pump spark plugs+wires alternator belt

For a whopping $1200. Is this reasonable? I prefer to go to them since they are professionals - you pay a little more for service, plus Id like to know that if anything happens afterwards Ill just drive it to any of their retail chain/shops in my area

What have you guys paid in the past?

Reply to
Anubis

A franchise? go find a good local mechanic, plugs OK but Toy wires are much better quality than aftermatket and last longet than 93000, Forget the wires , it could be done for maybe half that price. Often dealers have sales on the timing belt but also overcharge on all other work. Changing plugs is a 15 minute job, but if you have platinum now you might wait and shop prices.

Reply to
ransley
4 cyl or 6 cyl? Timing belt along with coupon I think is about $200-300 (4-6 cyl) at the dealer. Of course you negotiate a package deal that includes pump, oil seals (cam, crank, oil pump), drive belts.

$1200 is too expensive even for a 6 cyl. You should be able to come out around ~$900 for a 6 cyl or around ~$700 for a 4 cyl. It also depends on how much they'll charge for plugs and wires, because this can be done as part of a 30,000 mile service (pay a bit more for Iridium plugs).

Try a toyota dealer and see if you can the timing belt coupon or other service coupons on the dealer web site.

Reply to
johngdole

On your staring problem, can you describe more?

How's the alternator and starter? The alt brush should be good for

120K miles. $20 part easy to change. Start solenoid contacts $20 also around 120K miles.

Reply to
johngdole

It sounds like they are charging you twice. Once for the timing belt and once for the water pump. I am not sure which motor you have in your car, but in some the water pump is behind the timing belt. While it is not needed at the time, I always had the water pump changed on a Toyota 4 cylinder while the mechanic was in there. The mechanic said it was probably not needed but it was just insurance as I tend to go somewhat over milage before I change the timing belt. About 90.000 like you have. It is only about 4 more bolts to change the water pump which should only run about $ 100 or so more.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery