Audi TT roadster top question

What happens, exactly, if I don't use the clumsy, space-robbing top cover and instead, tool down the road, top down, at speed?

Will the top pop open? Will the noise be severe? Will people point and gesture rudely?

Just wondering. Planning a long trip, and luggage space is very, very tight for four weeks on the road.

Thanks,

Charles Fox snipped-for-privacy@gte.net

Reply to
Charles Fox

You'll ruffle your hair!

Reply to
Nige

In the 2 years I owned my TT roadster, I NEVER used the top cover. Should not have any effect except maybe that your top may accumulate dust/leaves that settle in that area when the top is down.

Geekapoo

Reply to
b22r

What's a "top cover"? The "hood" (as we say over here - the cloth bit that keeps the rain off, as opposed to the "bonnet").

Only driven top-down to 148mph - top tip is to turn the radio up before you hit around 135mph, as it gets a bit noisy and, at that speed, you should be paying attention to things other than the ICE!.

You also lose the bass, Bose notwithstanding. Top-up driving limited to about 75mph (if it's too wet to have the top down, then it's too wet to play dodge-the-idiot ;o)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

That gives room for a helluva lot more luggage (well, comparatively) for The Trek. Thanks, G.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Fox

That cloth thing up there = top in this colony. Your hood. You guessed right.

'England and America are two countries separated by the same language' GBS

Will try to keep it under 148. Police here get very nervous above those speeds, and they'd feel the need to talk to me about mine.

Reply to
Charles Fox

If I tried that in the UK, I'd probably get shot ;o)

I gather from your other post that it's the plastic tonneau that you were also asking about? It's just there to take up most of your boot [trunk] space and make the car look pretty..

It /will/ fit in the cabin behind the seats, but - IIRC - interferes with the cupholders and blocks access to the storage bins.

The hood stays where it's put, even at high speed, and the glass deflector also makes a very noticable difference (implicit assumption: that you have the electric hood package, mandatory over here in the UK. No experience of the manual hood)

Last point - don't forget that there is a *lot* of space at the very back of the boot [trunk] for things that aren't very tall. Just watch that you don't end up polishing the rear of the car with your trousers when you're loading/unloading.. ;o)

HTH

H1K

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Confirmed by Audi in Torrance, California. In writing. Sounds solid.

Reply to
Charles Fox

Thanks again. Yes, that little space at the rear of the "bootrunk" (New English) is handy. I have a warning lamp in its box, and two large map guides of the Los Angeles area jammed in there. They don't move, are quiet, and don't slide around the rest of the vast (!) space wrecking themselves -- when I hasten around a corner, for instance.

Reply to
Charles Fox

Would I lie to ya? WOULD I????

Trust me....the check is in the mail. I promise not to ^%$^$ in your ^$^$^%. etc..........

dust/leaves

Reply to
b22r