Audi 80 - Steering knocking and slipping on 1990 2.0E model

Hi guys, found this thread whilst searching groups and you all seem very helpful and knowledgable...

Maybe someone can assist with my query... its getting very concerning to me.....

I found this here:

What Tony wrote describes my problem almost down to a T...

My dad is an ex-mechanic, and the CV boot was his first suggestion, and we can see that it is BADLY split.... so its going to the shop for repairs... (as I've had one replaced previously and this sorted the problem out for the right hand side... )

BUT, when this started knocking about 6 weeks ago, it was very light... and I've been told by mates who know more about cars that the CV knocking will just get louder... I was assured it wasn't something that would kill me.... since then though, I find that when turning the steering wheel at any speed, i.e. to navigate a turn in the road, or take a corner... I get a slight 'slip' on the steering, as if my wheels jump in the other direction marginally... and I have to physically correct this myself on the steering column, otherwise I won't follow the original path I was taking... this is of course, VERY scary, and I am driving my car less and less... it happens on both sides, but more on the left... and it only happens once per turn.. i.e. if I am full locking to the left, it'll only happen the once... not repeatadely...

Some people have advised that this could be related to the CV itself... but I'm not sure, and was worried that something is dying on my steering column... there are two poles that connect from the column to the top of the wheels which my dad has tightened a nut on, which made it better but only for a short period as the slipping effect has come back... he has also checked a nut that is under my steering column which required a very awkward position to stick my head up near my foot pedals and pull back some felt covering so that I could check nothing was loose there...

I've trawled google and couldn't find anything relating to this on the web so have found this group and posted here...

Any ideas would be great... I know my dad suggested that it could be comming from the transmission and in that case it would be a throw away job... I suppose I'm just trying to narrow it down so that I can be more specific before taking it to the garage,,,, unless of course someone knows of the problem and can say: "your car needs scrapping... "

My Audi has 130,000 miles, and I've had it for 2 years... it has never been in any accidents... I knew the owner through a friend, and it was in immaculate condition after he owned it for 14 years... it even had the original full exhaust !!

Thanks guys for any assistance...

Alex

Reply to
hawkinsa21

Things to look at might include:

- failing steering rack

- worn tie rod ends

- loose connection of tie rods to steering rack

- loose mounting of steering rack

- worn ball joints

- loose sway bar

- broken motor / transmission mounts

... the list goes on. A mechanic will need to check it to find and correct the problem.

You are right to be c> Hi guys, found this thread whilst searching groups and you all seem

Tony

Thanks Tony, I much appreciate your quick reply...

I will get this looked at pronto...

:-D Alex

Reply to
hawkinsa21

I had this problem on a Passatt once. It was loose bolts where the ball joint fastens to the lower wishbone. It appeared shortly after I'd had a wheel alignment.

HTH

Reply to
5potnoodle