Cam seals?

Why have I never heard of cam seal leaks till my 2001(A4 Quattro) 2.8 at

60k? I've owned everthing from GM-Asian-European. What is the fix? Big dollars at the dealer? Otherwise, what a great car to drive. Only thing that can beat a rear wheel drive benz. TIA.
Reply to
Dennis W

Actually, it's all part of Audi's well-engineered external lubrication system. I think they licensed it from the British. ;-)

Seriously, it appears to be a fault with the 2.8 - mine had the cam seals done recently at 73,000 miles along with the TB service. If you haven't noticed, the reliability of German cars has tanked over the past few years. Probably the most spectacular fall has been MB but the smaller VWs are bad too. Even the new 7-series BMW is an embarrassment. To me, an engineer, there is NO excuse for engine oil leaks at 60,000 miles or coils that fail within a year (VW recall). These are design and/or quality control issues that are a result of shoddy work. For reliability, you're better off getting a Hyundai. My 98 A4 is my last Audi and I've driven nothing else but Audis for nearly 20 years.

Reply to
Ian S

Keeps the rust at bay doncha know ?!

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Well, there you go: lubrication AND rust preventative. What will those German engineers think of next?!

Reply to
Ian S

They may not be the most reliable, but is everything about reliability? They look great, drive great and have the best interiors.

If Audi owners wanted reliability they would be Toyota owners.

Reply to
Ronny

lubrication

I don't see why reliability and the other attributes you list have to be mutually exclusive. Especially when in some of the Audi/VW problems, poor design is clearly the issue.

Reply to
Ian S

Absolutley! It is a total cop-out to to excuse poor reliability by extoling "look & feel." Audis, especially the A4/A6 lines between 1997 and 2001 (and maybe still) are very poor from a reliability/robustness standpoint.

There is absolutely no excuse for having front ends practically disintegrate by 60,000 miles (100,000 km), or having valve cover and cam seal/adjuster gaskets dribble oil all over the outside of the engine and hot exhaust manifolds. These cars also have a much higher than average incidence of electrical faults -- dashboard display LED segments failing; cruise controls that become intermittant and then stop working; exterior mirrors whose heating elements fail within the first three years, etc.

Yes, Audis do look nice, drive nice, and generally smell nice (excpet when oil leaks out onto the exhaust! But if a car is not relaible, then its long-term position in the marketplace will (and has) suffered.

Would I buy another Audi? Probably not. Would I buy another TRoyota Avalon? Probably yes.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

disintegrate

I had forgotten about the outside mirror heating elements! Mine expired long ago - since I live in Phoenix, it's not a big loss although I'm always reminded of it when I go to Flagstaff in the winter.

It was always embarrassing when passengers would ask "what's that smell?"

But if a car is not relaible, then its

I'm considering a sports car next and the TT isn't even in the running.

Reply to
Ian S