240 Replacing Cam Oil Seal

Hi folks...

When replacing the front cam oil seal (B21 engine), does the valve cover have to be removed (or just the sprocket)?

If it *does* have to be removed, should I fit a new valve cover gasket?

Allan.

Reply to
Just Allan

No it doesn't, but if you do remove the camshaft cover for some reason a new gasket is not absolutely nessesary but it's a good idea.

Reply to
James Sweet

Often the cam cover gasket fails where it bends as it goes up over the cam bearing cap, especially some of the crappy aftermarket ones. This is close to the cam seal, and a leak at this corner is often blamed on the cam seal. I'd suggest a new valve cover gasket and cam seal. Taking off the front cam cap makes changing the seal very easy. Also put some gasket sealer between the cap and the head when reinstalling it.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks!

Reply to
Just Allan

There's no actually leak yet - I'm just doing a lot of work at the front of the engine, and thought I'd change the seals while they're easy to get to. New waterpump, thermostat, radiator rodded out, radiator hoses, V belts, oil change, engine mounts, timing belt, etc.

Thanks!

Reply to
Just Allan