Certified Pre-Owned Useless

I bought an '02 S4 Certified Pre-Owned from Stevens Creek Audi (Bethel Motors) in the SF Bay Area a couple years ago. The warranty, albeit with deductible, and road side assistance to 100k miles was an attractive feature. I finally had to use the road side assistance, and Audi NA "customer care", and have found it useless! I had a flat tire in SoCal and tried to install the compact spare which came with the car. Problem was the spare was 4-lug and didn't even fit over the S4's front brake calipers to mate with the 5-lug rotor. Called for road side assistance...no help after 1

1/2 hours and I had to leave my car for another ride. After getting my flat fixed I called Audi NA "customer care" about the spare, and after 3 follow-up calls regarding my assigned case number I have not had a call back in 3 weeks! So still no spare tire. Useless I say!
Reply to
Lorne Dyke

MDC, You'd be well-advised to ask on the A6 forum on Audiworld, there'd be more folks there with similar cars - I'd venture to say that it would be "originally equipped" with whatever was in the trunk, since it makes no sense to ship the cars from Germany (/Hungary/?) with nothing in the place of the spare, and then ship a container-full of spare tires. Of course, this does not apply to Lorne's case, unless the wrong tire was put in at the factory (hey, it happens, I've seen such a mixup at a different manufacturer => rear axles placed on one truck forward in the line for half of a shift, error noticed when wheel bolt pattern did not match). The story you were given about the reasoning for the donut does not ring true (obviously, if the fs tire fits....) - it's more likely that, given the number of different wheel options the buyer is given, it makes more $en$e to put a generic spare in there, where all they'd have to do is match the bolt pattern. It's nice to have a FS spare (mostly because you can drive as normal to the repair centre), but most of the time people forget to keep it inflated, and it's flat when they need it a few years down the road. Quattro and many AWD systems don't really take kindly to throwing an untravelled spare tire into tire rotations, not to mention directional tread patterns (this is my left side spare, that's my right side spare?). Some manufacturers are deleting the spare tire altogether, opting for a "spare-in-a-can" inflator/patch.....and there's "run flat" tires....... Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

"MDC" wrote in message news:toWFe.2966$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com...

Reply to
Steve Sears