Some CYA preventative maintenance

I was checking the tire pressure in my 67 tires and spare today, and thought of something else that I should have checked a long time ago. The tires were new when I bought the car in 97, and have only been off the car once in 98 for a brake job. With the rusty old brake drums and all, I was wondering if the lug nuts would still come loose with a lug wrench since they have not been off in 5 years. I checked and all 20 lug nuts would not come loose even when stepping on the lug wrench. That would have been a major Pita if I had found this out on the road somewhere with a flat tire. I sprayed them all down with WD-40 for a soaking and will go back and try again later. Just something to think about that might save you a headache at the side of the road, so go out and check yours lug nuts today if you have not done so in a while. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

I had a guy at a tire shop tell me once that the design of the lugs on a bug worked such that if you smacked 'em hard with a hammer it would loosen the rust and grit such that they became easy(er) to remove.

Of course he told me this as he was using an impact wrench to remove the tires so I didn't get to test it, and haven't yet had the occasion to try it myself.

There any truth to that?

Reply to
Seth Graham

I use anti-sieze on all lugs. Never had a problem. BTW - if you ever see a can of PB Blaster, try it instead of WD-40 or even Liquid Wrench. Amazing stuff!

Reply to
John Stafford

PB Blaster is the best penetrating oil I have ever used.I have a 59 model Stude truck with 8 lug wheels. When I first purchased the truck 5 years ago it had bias ply tires fron the late 60's on it. Not a single lug would turn,I sprayed PB on them,left them overnight ,the next day,I turned them all with a 4 way lug wrench, the same wrench that could not budge them the day before.I works miracles on the VW's here too!

Freddy

John Stafford wrote:

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

yeah it ok to just soak em with wd-40... But, after you get the lug nuts off clean and apply some anti-seize compound to the threads... That should keep you going for a few years or so...

Good Luck!

Reply to
eric