Diesel or Petrol A4 Avant?

I'm looking to buy a used A4 Avant and I'm torn between the 2.0 Petrol FSI and the 1.9 (130) TDI

This is as a general family car doing between 10k and 15k miles per year. The petrol models are roughly around =A31k cheaper than the diesel models

Anyone any views?

Reply to
Toby

2.0FSI is gutless. Give's good economy but you have to thrash it to get decent performance and then economy goes out the window. Also needs super unleaded to run FSI properly.

I'd go for the TDI as it'll be quicker in everyday driving while returning reasonable MPG. Ours (saloon) gets about 40mpg. Not as good as the combined figure would suggest but OK. It's also far quicker for overtakes. Downside of the TDI is the short powerband so plenty of gearchanging required and of course, the diesel sound.

Reply to
BT

Man, I wish we had this choice in the US. I would love to drive the diesel.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Diesel by a country mile. I had the 1.9 130 TDI and it was such a joy to drive (this was in an A3 SE). Regularly got 45mpg+ and motorway driving was very comfortable especially overtaking.

Reply to
G-man uk

I have a 2003 1.9 TDI 130SE - plenty of torque and acceleration in the gear but off the lights not so much. The deisel sound is not too bad, certainly a lot better than deisels of old. Also this engine can be remapped up to 180BHP if you really need it for around =A32-=A3300.

Economy is good - I return 50-53mpg on long motorway cruises at around

80mph (45 with a roofbox) and up to 40 around town on my 5 mile journey to work which takes 20 mins. This is comparable with my smaller fiat Stilo 1.9 TDI.

Comfortable ride a good comprimise between comfort and handling.

I found space inside a little disappointing for rear passengers, because of the lower seating position there is less legroom behind me than there was in my Stilo as the fiat had a higher seating position. But apart from that I have no complaints.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

definatly the diesel!!