Advantages v disadvantages of a diesel!!!

ADVANTAGES: 1) err, err, slightly more mpg (but more frequent oil changes and servicing initial cost more than cancel that out unless you do about 100,000 miles per
year!) 2) err, err, ??? Anyone???
DISADVANTAGES 1) more expensive 2) heavier 3) slower (unless turboed but then you can turbo a petrol engine too! And then the diesel is last again...) 4) LESS torque size for size unless turboed (see 3) than petrol. 5) LESS power 6) Noisier 7) Tiring drone to drive 8) Tiring engine braking 9) Smelly fuel 10) Diesel on hands, feet, carpets, etc.when filling up 11) Engines wear faster due to: a) dirty oil faster due to soot getting past pistons which is abrasive b) Permenant WOT condition means the full 23 to 1 compression is forcing the pistons sideways in the bores and loading the crank madly even at idle! 12) Heavier battery needed and bigger electrical load on starting means starters and batteries last less well. 13) Less rpm band, more gearchanging so harder work! 14) Sounds like a truck especially when cold due in part to 11b 15) I dont like them! 16) need servicing twice as often due to 11a
--

www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/ All about nitrous and how to DIY!
www.dynamometer.fsnet.co.uk/ All about Dynamometers

3. Cheaper. 4. Stronger. (Well, it is on my car anyway - no pesky electrics to worry about.) 5. Amusing squid feature.
But then my priorities are probably a bit different to yours.
cheers, clive

But theres a fiat ducato van outside that wont start because its heater plugs are buggered. Isnt that electrics?

Only in the most brutal sense. Certainly not 'pesky'.
cheers, clive
Clive George wrote:
    [...]

=8/
Do tell.

I might have put the amusing squid feature higher...
Burgerman wrote:

What does WOT mean, wide open throttle?
Thanks to diesel cranks, some engine power upgrades are easier!

Name one? Do you realise that for eg VW use the same basic motor for the diesel or the petrol?
Granted - but you still didn't answer my question about what WOT stands for?

Wide Open Throttle.
Fraser

Wide Open Throttle
Diesels dont have one. And you cant have one! If you did there would be not enough heat from compression to ignite your fuel So every revolution each cylinder has to compress a full load of air to approx 23 to one creating much stress and engine wear even at idle. Its why they sound noisy at idle, and on overun and feel harsh and tiring to drive. No amount of "modern" ((c) JackH) WILL CHANGE THIS!
Petrol engines idle with a throttle plate almost shut. So there is no stress as only a minute amount of air needs to be compressed, Thats why they idle smoothly and quietly without stress or wear. And the compression is lower anyway! So at idle, cruise, and on overun, the engine is having to compress fuck all by a smaller amount! No or little side loads on the piston / liner, and nothing trying to crush the big end and main bearing shells at idle!
it's also more expensive to run fuel wise :)

I have 2 very similar cars one with a petrol one with a diesel both produce the same peak bhp and the petrol is a lazy 8v with a nice wide chunk of torque there's no more gear changing in the diesel then the petrol despite the diesel being a tad heavier.

But I bet the diesel has the benefit of a turbo... To make things fair you have to fit one to the v8
Burgerman wrote:

But all Diesels have the benefit of a Turbo. It's part-and-parcel of a modern Diesel engine.

But that would cost a huge amount of money. The Diesel's Turbocharger is (almost) free - it comes as standard on the car.
Are you suggesting you should *remove* the Turbo from a modern Diesel engine, in order to compare it with a modern normally aspirated Petrol engine ?

No, but if you only compare turbo diesels you HAVE to compare them to turbo petrols of the same capacity/weight/cost
If the deseasel can be turboed so can the petrol...
Which leaves the deseasel miles behind!!!

Not quite so far behind as you're making out. Hence the new Alfa JTDs putting out 200bhp.
(OK, so you could push more out of a 2.4 petrol with a turbo - but then the economy would be shite - if you gave both 200bhp, the diesel would slaughter the economy of the petrol anyway)
SteveH wrote:

And there's been >300bhp turbo 2.0s for many many years now, even italian ones...
... you want that Ghibli Cup, don't you...
--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

So how do you want to compare them?
Aspiration and capacity? Power output? Consumption? Torque output? Cost to buy?
For a given power output, the diesel will be easier to drive and more economical for most drivers. For a given fuel consumption, the diesel will be quicker. For a given torque output, the diesel will be slower and more economical. For a given cost, the diesel will probably be slower (depending on the range) and be more economical.
You can't cherry pick what you want to and don't want to compare, eh?
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

ITYF that's "some" drivers.

This is why LPG is brilliant.

And horrible to drive

Ban diesels. That's my answer. Anyone who drives a diesel out of choice should have their licence taken away.
--
Pete M

Range Rover Vogue SE, Ford Capri (ressurection stalling)

Yes. Some. Many. Most.

I don't understand why it hasn't caught on in the diesel way.
Oh, yeah, nobody trusts the Government! :)

The donk is only a small part of the entertainment. I had a hoot on the weekend with ye olde engine design under the bonnet.

That's as reasonable as me reckoning we should ban all drivers of large vehicles longer than say 4.5 metres, because it's unreasonable use of road space and kills puppies / trees / whatever the greenies reckon this week.
--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com