front and rear drive shaft seals leaking on '99 A6 Q

?99 A-6Q 75K miles on it.

I'm just back from shop after getting t-belt, t-stat, Water pump, and other rolling belt parts replaced. While the car was up on the lift, the shop owner showed me where the car picked up a minor leak at the transmission output shaft seal. I went to the rear differential and noted leaks there also, from all three shafts: the axle seals, and the ring and pinion seal.

Is this common?

Nothing looks catastrophic, and fluid levels are ok for now. But I¹ll be putting it in at the next oil change for this repair. It looks like most of the exhaust system will have to be pulled, just to get to the drive shaft. There is some corrosion on all exhaust plumbing, I drive this thing in snow quite a lot, and I¹m wondering if there are any surprises waiting when they pull all this to access the drive shaft. Thanks,

Grover

Reply to
Grover

Great heads-up on including the cover on the front box.

I'll relay that request to my local guy when I take it back in for this job.

All three rear shaft leaks looked nearly equal. I took that to point toward "normal" wear than outright failure of a seal. The front was a bit worse, with some pooling evident - certainly enough to give Fluffy's fur a hot oil treatment.

Thanks again,

Grover

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, JPF at snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote on 9/11/03 6:14 AM:

Reply to
Grover

Thanks,

The front box does form a drip (sort of ready to, but not quite). Though, I haven't noticed any on the ground.

I'm going to go to my next oil change for sure, and then likely have both front and back done - since the exhaust plumbing will have to be yanked regardless.

In the mean time, I'll keep a close watch on my parking spot.

Grover

in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, C.R. Krieger at warp2 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 9/11/03 7:34 AM:

Reply to
Grover

If it isn't dripping on the ground then don't worry yet!

Reply to
Woodchuck