Changing pinion shaft seal on rear differential of 91 4x4 Toyota ExtraCab

My pinion shaft seal just started leaking at 303,000 miles. I was reading in the manual about preload torque on the pinion gear. Anybody have any experience with this?? Mechanically it looks like an fairly easy job. Thanks.

Reply to
Handyman

Frank

I did the pinion shaft seal over the weekend. 30mm 1/2" drive socket and a standard socket wrench, one filed steel punch to open up the ding in the pinion nut, one $10.00 seal, a strong standard screwdriver to pry out the old seal, some 80-95 weight gear oil, a six in piece of

3" diameter PVC pipe to seat the new seal with, and 90 minutes of my time. I removed the rear end of the drive shaft and suspended it with wire, tapped the divot in the pinion nut with the filed punch to open it up, scribed the nut position, then counted the turns as I removed it. Pried the old seal out with a sturdy screwdriver, caught the flood of gear oil, seated the new seal with the short section of PVC pipe and a hammer, tightened the pinion nut the same number of turns until the divot in the threads lined up with the key way in the shaft. Checked the tension on the shaft and gear mesh for play, remounted the driveshaft.
Reply to
Handyman