How to tell if AirCon is working in cold weather

As subject. I had a carful of passengers yesterday and the windows fogged up. Haven't noticed this before and wondered if the AC is faulty. If the weather was warmer I could put the AC onto "LO" and feel the cold air coming through, but with the temperature under 5 degrees C it doesn't seem to make any difference if the "Econ" button is on or off.

Any advice much appreciated.

Reply to
Paul

That is actually quite likely, because in quite many cars compressor engages only above 3-5 degC.

- Juha -

Reply to
Juha

In the A3 at least, the aircon is disabled if the outside temperature is below 4 deg C.

Reply to
Graham

Thanks - that must be what it is. (Car is an A6 BTW - sorry should have said). I use AC for dehumidifying rather than cooling in cold weather though. It's a bit of a pain to be disabled.

Reply to
Paul

It is, but from my limited knowledge, I believe its to prevent damage to the system if it was to try to force it to work when it could be frozen up. The demist function still works a treat in cold weather though. Couldn't do without it!!

Reply to
Graham

Really!? In every American car I've ever owned the A/C compressor kicks in whenever "Defog" is selected on the vent control, regardless of whether the temperature is 80F or -20F. The purpose, obviously, is to remove moisture from the air to help clear the windshield. I've never had a problem with fogging windows in my Audis (the only non-American cars I've ever owned), but then again nobody every wants to ride in them but me. (Come to think of it, nobody ever wants to ride with me no matter *what* I'm driving. My mother-in-law jokes about wearing a blindfold whenever I drive her anywhere.)

- Greg

Reply to
Greg Reed

I have the same problem with an A6 - windows always mist up when the demist function is used!! If you solve the problem please let us know. Thanks Chris

Reply to
Goukcpb