2000 Maxima SE cold in cabin

My 2000 Maxima SE has the optional "auto temp control with digital outside temp display."

Recently, when it is 50-60 degrees outside, we can't feel comfortable by setting the temperature dial to 74 degrees. Cold air comes out of the vents (whether dash or floor). With settings from 74 all the way up to 84 degrees it just pumps cold air. And it seems like the ac is running.

But when set to 85 degrees, which is the maximum setting, the heater kicks in full blast. Tried the ECON setting; still won't warm until set to 85 degrees. It's gets stuffy very quickly in the car with the system turned off.

What I am expecting is gradually warmer air as the temperature setting is increased. I'm quite sure it worked that way until just recently.

I took it to a Nissan dealer in Omaha. They checked everything out and can't find the problem. Any suggestions I can take to the dealer or try myself would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Cal Smith

Do you have it set to "defrost"? The A/C activates on that setting.

Reply to
Monte

No, I don't have defrost on. But that was a good thought - thanks.

Reply to
Cal Smith

Same thing happened to me on 2K GLE. Dealer reset some settings at which the ac kicks in. That fixed it.

Reply to
G&B Bonnin

Had the same thing happen on my 2000 SE. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the potentiometer, the device controlled by the knob you turn to adjust the temperature.

Reply to
SnortHog