Idol Stabilizer Question.

Hello all,

Hope I'm in accordance with the protocol here.

I have a 1994 90 CS, basically it is just a 90. Anyways, I have learned that my Idol Stabilizer is bad and needs to be replaced. My local dealership is asking 545$ for parts and labor for this repair. Ouch!

I'm hoping one of you guys have done this repair before.

My question is:

Will I be able to successfully do the instillation myself?

What special precautions do I need to do to do the repair? (i.e. put car in neutral or disconnect battery or do it when car is running.

And are there any special instructions on how to make the repair, or will I need specialized parts to make the switch. Will I need to make an adjustment to the stabilizer itself?

Or do you know of a website to refer me to so I can learn how to make this repair.

Thanks guys,

Please reply to my email address jason snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thanks

Jason

Reply to
Jason

If you have the 5 cylinders engine it very easy to replace the idle stabilizer. You may want to replace the hose that has a bend to it. Over time the hose soften and vacuum will cause it to collapse. You can buy the parts on line which will be cheaper then a dealer. I usually buy from Blaufurnugen in Wisconsin.

Reply to
Upallnight

Or sometimes just cleaning it can improve things - worked on my 90q.

-- Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***
Reply to
Doug Ramage

How do you clean it?

Bill Graham

Reply to
Bill Graham

It was a few years ago - but, IIRC, the mechanic just sprayed carb cleaner into it. Perhaps someone more technical might be able to confirm.

-- Doug Ramage

***Watch Spam Trap***
Reply to
Doug Ramage

Guys, Ow. NOT CARB CLEANER!!!! Carb cleaner is too agressive and will destroy the seal in the ISV. Use throttle body cleaner - it's much milder and will de-gunk it just as well. Cheers!

Reply to
Steve Sears

I would pull the ISV (idle stabilizer valve) and run a bunch of carb cleaner through it until it stops coming out black. That seemed to help my '95 90Q pretty well. But, I need to do it again soon, three years later. It's a LOT cheaper than a new valve!!

I used a variable 0-12v power supply to slowly change the valve opening while I cleaned it. DO NOT just apply 12v. Start at 0v. This valve is made to be adjusted slowly, not slammed with a pulse.

As far as taking it off, it's easy to do except that there is a coolant pipe or something in the way. So, you have to unbolt the intake manifold an lift it up an inch or two.

Hope this helps.

Gene

1985 4000q w/ 315,000 miles when I sold it. 1995 90Q Sport w/ 165,000 miles now.

Reply to
Gene

Throttle body cleaner? Hmm. I'll have to look for that.

...ok replace "carb cleaner" in my other post with "throttle body cleaner". :-))

Gene

Reply to
Gene

Gene,

What is a variable power supply. Obviously I do not have one. How would I use it? Can I secessfully perform the repair without one?

Am I damaging my car by operating it with a bad Idol Stabolizer?

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
Jason