*Low Battery on 1988 5000 CS Turbo*

I have a 1988 5000 CS Turbo Quattro that was having electrical problems. At first there seem to be no power coming from the battery so the mechanic installed a voltage regulator and that seem to work, but today, I was in traffic at a stop light with the wipers/lights/heater/radio going and the low battery warning came on. I turned everything off and it went away. As soon as traffic moved I turned it on and when in motion the warning did not come back.

Do I need a (gulp) new alternator?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Quisp Smith

You are probably experiencing a unique condition of the T44s.

The battery under the back seat has its main positive lead running forward but has a splice where the power is split to the ignition and alternator. The splice is at the bottom and inside the passenger side kick panel. These get dirty / corroded and build up resistance. Take it apart, clean and that may cure the problem.

You can test whether this is the likely problem by testing the voltage to ground at the jumping terminal just behind the passenger side head light and then test the voltage to ground on the battery terminal. There shouldn't be more than a few tenths of a volt difference. If more then that is probably the cause of the problem.

T> I have a 1988 5000 CS Turbo Quattro that was having electrical

Reply to
Tony

Tony, thank you!!

Reply to