Mintex "Red Box" brake pads are nice

Greetings,

My brake pads are installed and I have lived with them for over a week now. So far, they are definitely better than OEM pads. They feel firmer, stop the car on a dime and have less dust.

If you are considering a pad replacement, and are not going to racing type pads, then they seem to be pretty good.

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
elroy

Yeah, I may be getting them too when my OEM pads wear out - the brake dust is killing me. I've heard mixed opinions as to Mintex Red's braking performance, especially when cold, but overall, they seem to be comparable to OEM and much less dust.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Paul,

I don't really have good answer for that. I know that the Mintex stuff produces less dust than OEM pads, but as far as saying what brand has the least dust...???

There may be some anecdotal evidence on Audi World, but I'd be surprised if there is a good quanitative answer out there.

Elroy

Reply to
elroy

Hi Pete,

Isn't the dust just incredible? Anyway, I'm sure that guys wanting track performance won't like the Mintex stuff, but they are OK for street application.

If I were to get serious about my autocrossing, I'd get a set of race pads and swap them out on Saturday nights...

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
elroy

Thanks Elroy

What are the "green" pads I've seen mentioned?

Reply to
Paul

You must be referring to EBC Green. Along with Mintex Red, they are the most common aftermarket street pads for Audis. From what I've read, EBC Green produces slightly more dust but offers slightly better braking compared to Mintex Red. However, both offer significant reduction in brake dust compared to OEM.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Correct. EBC also makes a "Red Stuff" pad, not to be confused with the Mintex Red Box. The Red Stuff is suited more for autocross and track days, but you could use them on the street.

The other difference between EBC Green Stuff and Mintex Red Box is price. The Red Box pads ran about $90 and the Green Stuffs were about $130.

Elroy

2000 S4
Reply to
elroy

Don't bother for Solo II. You'll never get them warmed up, even on a

90-second course. If you're running Solo I or hillclimbs, maybe ...

I've always just stuck in a set of Repco/Axxis/PBR Metalmasters and drive them all the time. Street, autox, and some track time.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Less dust means more rotor wear. I use these pads and Hawk Blues on my Speed/SCCA ITE A4 and the rotors wear is about twice as fast as stock pads. Carbon Pads are a better compromise but do not allow threshold modulation. But then if its show rather than go, just clean dem wheels.

C.

Reply to
ccohen5