Brake pads not fitting in caliper?

Hi all

I was investigating my problem of the squealy brake with excess brake dust today, and when I took my brake pads out I saw that one of them had a ridge on the very outside (about 1.5mm wide in the centre and 1.5mm high). (So much for the workshop that said nothing was wrong).

I checked with the shop and I have the right discs and the right pads so I guess that means the pads were not mounted properly.

Here's a photo of my pad and one of the caliper guides. Note how there is a tab that prevents the pad sliding backwards (first red arrow) and the pad does not touch the other end of the guide (second red arrow).

Does this mean I do in fact have the wrong pads? Can I 'fix' this by just bending the guide tab out of the way so that my pads can slide in and out properly?

Old Wolf

Everyone is going to ask what year/make/model of vehicle you have.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Correct pads. That item is not a guide so much as an anti rattle item. It keeps the pad/caliper separate so they don't drag on each other.

That wear ridge doesn't mean much. just that the pad may have been just a small amount oversized or the rotor may have rusted on the edge.

Brake dust is normal. How much you get depends on pad material and brake use. If you do long highway miles and don't use the brakes a lot you don't get much, do a lot of city stop/go and you will get a LOT in a short time. Another factor is airflow over the brakes. Some of the wheel covers out there basically prevent airflow from cooling the brakes and also stop the air from cleaning away the brake dust. Many of the OEM aluminum rims are not much better.

Reply to
Steve W.

Ok, thanks for the answers. I filed off the ridge; I'll put it back on and see how it goes.

Reply to
Old Wolf

They might be the right part box, but it sure doesn't sound like the right part was in the box. Pads don't 'move' on their sliders except for in and out. if they move up and down or back and forth, they 'will' eventually shatter.

Either the rotor is wrong or the pad is wrong. You will likely have some serious grabbing or brake loss issues when that ridge builds up. If the pad does seat down differently later, then the ridge can hold up the pedal until the ridge snaps off and you suddenly find the brake pedal at the floor on the first pump.

I sure wouldn't drive it like that....

Mike

Mike Romain