noises, where are they all coming from.....

help... anybody..just bought my Audi A4 N reg 3 wks ago and already is making me mad!!! My local mechanic couldn't locate where the noise is comin from. The noise starts from squeeking and then followed by rattling or knocking noise. I am thinking of replacing the engine mountings but not sure if this will eliminate the noise....Anymore suggestions or anybody had the same problems???

Reply to
JOSH13

Where is the noise roughly coming from?

96 plate A4s suffer from lower wishbone noise, sort of squeeking sound that happens mostly over rough ground, and at slow speed.
Reply to
Ronny

roughly the noise is coming from the front end of the car, and more on the left wheel or passenger side front wheel. should I replace all the bushings and how????

Reply to
JOSH13

Not the bushings, its the whole assembly needs changing, on the A4 there is

8 of them, 2 on each corner (at least on the quattro there is)

Best to change all 4 but get it checked first to make sure it is, because the Audi A4 uses a double wishbone system you will not know the part is faulty as the other one takes the strain, the best way to test if it is, take a big flat bladed screwdriver, and insert it into each knuckle on each wishbone and check for play.

The A4 was recalled due to poor lower wishbones, but like I said, it may not be that.

The signs are, Creaking and Groaning as you drive along slowly, over bumps you will notice a knocking noise at slow speed.

There is a quick fix and that is to inject some oil/grease into the actual bushes, but its hard and doesn't last long, and is a pita to do.

hth

Reply to
Ronny

"" wrote: > roughly the noise is coming from the front end of the car, and > more on the > left wheel or passenger side front wheel. should I replace all > the > bushings and how????

Take off the wheel where you think the noise is coming from. Give each wishbone a good shake. Any that have free movement will need replaced. The same one on the other side is usually quick to follow. Just unscrew the effected one and take it with you when buying a replacement to ensure a perfect match. If you have trouble getting any out as I have had in the past, you will need to shock it out by banging the area with a large hammer a dozen or so times. You may have to drop the suspension if it is the large arm. Do this by unscrewing the 3 nuts directly above the suspension unit. These can be found under the bonnet.

Reply to
EthnicCleanser

I checked and changed one of the wisbone as its been playing (the curve one). I tested the car and noise has gone, but after few miles running, noise came back. What should I do, should I change the other one? This is really doin my headin.....

Reply to
JOSH13

ethnic pls can you tell me how to drop the suspension as I need to remove it to also change upper front track arm.....

Reply to
JOSH13