Odd noises from my Golf - going crazy and broke trying to figure it out

Hey Everyone.

Sorry, this is a long post... but it's thorough and I think I kept it as concise as possible.

1999.5 Golf TDI GLS, 112,000kms on the clock.

I'm being driven nuts by a few separate noises... I have brought it to two different garages (VW Georgetown, a dealer, and R2SPORT, a VW/Audi shop next door to the dealer)

Anyhow... Here's the list and my attempt at fixing:

(all noises occasional - sometimes the car is great - noises worst when car has been sitting, but they can come back after a long period of running)

Scraping noise when turning fairly sharply; say to turn into driveway/parking lot... used to think it was only when braking, but now I know it's anytime - Took to dealer, mechanic said nothing was rubbing or worn out up front - No Charge.

Clunking noise from right rear: Sounds like something is loose and rattling around, not quite metallic, sounds muffled by noise insulation. Dealer inspected rear suspension - 1/2 hour labour, R2Sport inspected rear suspension... 1/2 hour labour, worked into cost of something I bought there - Both places say no new parts needed

Clunking noise from right rear: Separate noise, more metallic, fairly rare... thought it was carjack/stuff in trunk.. emptied trunk and still noise is there.

Pounding bang from right rear: When suspension goes over pothole style depression, or some expansion joint, rear suspension makes a very loud bang from right rear... Dealer says nothing wrong (included in other 1/2 hour labour), R2Sport says nothings wrong - R2Sport comments my suspension is "wallowy", and recommends new shocks (included in other 1/2 hour)... I found the stock suspension wallowy as well, and decided to spring for KONI adjustable shocks... very happy with the results BUT none of the noises disappeared :-( (cost me over $1000... ps. no one tell me if they could have got cheaper, the prices aren't important right now)

Squeak from right rear: New rear brakes (Zimmerman cross drilled with PBR pads) installed at "Audi's Only" performance garage... occasionally when starting off I can hear chirps from the right rear disk brake... I can see on the rotor there are scuffing marks... no damage - garage says this is normal and the brakes need time to wear in; to contact them if there is any grooving/caliper seizing/overheating/ or if noise persists... the noise is reducing in frequency of occurrence... I think they might be right...

If you notice a trend, I keep hearing things from the right rear... But no one can seem to find anything wrong...

Could it be the rear suspension bushings/mounting points? Could it even be the right rear passenger door making noises.

I'm going nuts here, and with my timing belt job coming up, I need some money for that too... I want to sell this car in a year, but I am not going to sell anyone a poorly maintained rattle-trap, especially since it's me living with it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

This sounds pretty normal to me. It's probably nothing to worry about so take your medication and relax.

:)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Here's the answer:

Craig ;-)

Reply to
Craig Faison

HAHAHAHA And i've been cranking my CD player/Radio all this time!!!

I h>

Reply to
Rob Guenther