Mk 4 Astra estate 1.6 8v NIGHTMARE!

Can anybody please help me???? Ok i bought a 2000 "W" reg astra estate, when driving it home i noticed a knocking noise from the engine and the oil light flickering.Took the oil cap off to check the oil and...Full of grease! Cleaned the grease out and put some oil in and yes just as i thought it was burning oil so i presumed a HG failure. Ok the car was on my drive a week and i decided to get it looked at but when the mechanic came round it failed to turn over, turned out to be the starter motor so he took it on a truck and repaired it for me, he completely stripped everything and told me the grease had got everywhere so i needed new lifters, piston rings,had the head skimmed etc Ok all this cost me £900 so i was pretty annoyed but glad it was fixed, i picked the car up and it drove like a dream until 20 mins later and it got warm, same problem...knocking sounds and a flickering oil light? I phoned him back and he said it could be that the oil pump has packed in or it could b more serious i.e its loosing pressure. Firstly i dont want to spend anymore money because i could have had an engine replacement for this much! but if it is just the oil pump then i would be willing to repair it. Has anybody got any suggestions?

Reply to
Jamie21

Could it have been filled with grease by an utter bastard who knew it wasn't holding pressure, and wanted to flog it?

Knocking and flickering oil light don't tend to be starter related - But a slightly seized up engine might not turn on anything other than a perfect starter with a healthy battery maybe. And surely any mechanic with a clue not trying to rip you off would check the oil pump, bottom end bearings, etc?

I have a feeling you've been done. For now if you have to use the car chuck some Wynns Stop Smoke or similar in to help keep the oil extra thick when warm and start looking at getting your money back would be my advice!

Reply to
Stuffed

yes, go back to the person who sold you a pup and insist on a refund. You will be stuffed for the money you have spent but things are only going to get worse otherwise.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Knocking as well, sounds as if the mains or big ends have gone.

Refer to seller, and/or trading standards (if there's any indication that he's a trader) etc. If you want to know how to find that one out, indications are he has lots of adverts etc etc. - there's lots of good advice about on how to spot this, again see what's on your local councils trading standards web site.

Reply to
R. Murphy