OBD Tool

Does anyone have any experience using this tool?

It looks like all you get for the money is a serial cable and some sort of protocol converter box --integrated into the OBD connector. The software that is enclosed is a free version that is limited.

My questions are if the free version of this software is usable and do this cable and software work together well?

I have a 1998 A4 2.8Q (engine AHA).

Thanks, Victor

Reply to
Victor Silva

Well you do get a Money-back satisfaction guarantee!! So you can try it and let us know how well it works! ;-) It should work though!

I prefer the real interfaces to go with the "registered" software.

and the least expensive there is $229 ($130 for the interface and $99 for thesoftware) This has the dual K line ability the protection feature fromaftermarket radios too!The "free" or "trial" version is very very limited in it's functions so youwill probably register it at $99 which will bring your investment up to about$170 or so and add $10 for dual K line bringing the total to $181.Don't you just hate it when you want it all and which costs more! lol Ain't nothing like the real thing baby! ;-) BTW I have the old obsolete ISO-COM and the newer HEX-COM too! :-)

dave

Hello Dave,

Can I ask you where you come from? Reason for this is what your experiences are with the hex-com obd connector from ross-tech. And I want to know if it is necessary tool for your car. Thanks already for your help.

Audiclub2004

"dave" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m03.aol.com...

Reply to
Audiclub2004

Hmmmm is it a necessary tool for MY car.........Well it works for my 91 Passat and is helpful, but information that my car will send to it is quite limited. The later model cars will be more informative and the Vag-Com will allow you to change some settings.

But the VWs that I work on, one being a 97 Passat, this tool has helped me save over $500 by NOT guessing with possible needed parts (Secondary Air Pump for one). Customers love it when you repair the cars AND save them $$$ they were prepared to spend. I don't like to "guess" when it comes to auto repair!! Guessing usually will cost more than the price of this tool AND a used laptop.

I originally had the ISO-COM interface along with an older laptop. Slow but they worked together. The HEX-COM I purchased since it does not require the software to be activated and I can use it on my different computers. I also purchased a faster laptop and can easily access my 91 Passat's Engine Control Module with this setup. My old ISO-COM required me to manually change the settings inside of the software so it would connect to some of the older vehicles.

NOTE: I am still learning about this tool and the newer vehicles!!! ;-)

dave

I purchased the ODBTool and so far it seems to be useable, even with the free evaluation software.

The only problem I have is that I have reset every fault that had accumulated (also did repairs). Now there are no faults left but the odometer still flashes "SERVICE" for the first minute or so after starting the car. Is this normal or is there still a problem?

Thanks, Vic

1998 A4 2.8Q
Reply to
Victor Silva

Does yours have a reminder to Service the vehicle, like change the oil and filters, after XXX miles?

dave

Thanks! That was it. It can also be reset -- at least in my car -- using the following procedure:

  1. Insert key into ignition.
  2. Push Odometer reset button, while holding it in turn ignition to first click.
  3. Display will read "oil" or "service".
  4. Pull instrument dimmer to reset.

I don't have the owner's manual but I found this on the

technical discussion boards, it is also an excellent site for Audi info.

--Vic

Reply to
Victor Silva