What OBD-II Scanner to use???

I have a 1999 Subaru LOB Wagon, VIN 4S3BG6853X7621967, 2.5L, that is OBD-II compliant and the check enging light just came on recently. Car is running fine, but the wife is concerned and it "bugs" me that it's on. The connector for pulling codes with a scanner/retriever tool is 16-pin has active pins on

1,4,5,9,10,12,13.

Anyone had any experience with a particular reader that can pull codes from this vehicle using a scan tool? I was leaning towards getting an Actron CP9125, but I'm not sure if it'll work.

Any info on what has worked for others would be greatly appreciated. I can be emailed direct at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. Thanks. Andy

Reply to
AndyW

The Actron unit may work, although I think I have heard of some issues with these not connecting to Subarus. I could be wrong though and it might have been a different brand. I believe the Actrons are available at auto parts stores so as long as they will let you return it if it doesn't work you can try one. Personally I'm a fan of the AutoXray units, you can check out their products at

I currently have their top-of-the-line EZ-Scan 6000 which is a really nice tool, but if you only require a code reader for occasional use one of their less expensive scanners will do the job nicely.

Reply to
mulder

Just saw this one at Wal-Mart for under $100. They mention Subaru on the code lookup database.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Why spend the money for a unit you'll use once or twice? Most auto parts stores like Auto Zone, etc., will read off the code for free.

Reply to
Ragnar

Reply to
AndyW

Andy, I like the CarChip device. It's the size of a matchbox, flush-mounts into the OBD-II port (a little wire bail is flipped up to pull it out), and stays there while you drive. Not only can it read and reset trouble codes, but it also can take a snapshot of selectable engine parameters (date and time-stamped) as often as every 5 seconds while you drive, and store it in its internal memory.

To view the logged information, you pull the CarChip from your car, attach it to your PC or laptop with the supplied USB cable, download the information and display it. And, software and firmware updates are available free at the manufacturer's site.

See it at

.

Back when I bought the CarChipE/X at AutoZone, it was a serial port version that requires a wall wart for power when it's attached to your PC; it works fine with my 2001 Forester. The new versions use USB instead, so I imagine they get their power from the PC while attached to the PC, so will be even more convenient.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Farmer