Oil change

The "noise shield" under the engine compartment of my 99 A6 Avant Quattro is a nuisance in oil changing. Can I remove it? The shop charges and extra $10 to deal with it and I don't see that it does anything. Without that I can change my own oil easily. Larry

Reply to
L. Mormino

"L. Mormino"

Its purpose is to keep dirt and water away from the engine compartment. In addition, supposedly it helps keep the engine temperatures down by forcing a certain air flow pattern.

If you can change your own oil without it, then you can change your own oil with it as well - it only takes 2 minutes to take off the belly pan. Otherwise, if it's such a nuisance and if you're able to get to the oil filter from the top (not sure if you can or not), then consider getting an extractor pump for the oil. This way you won't have to get under the car and remove the belly pan at all.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

"L. Mormino" skrev i en meddelelse news:mswLc.7970$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

I drilled a 100mm hole for easy acces to the drain bolt.

/Carsten

Reply to
Carsten Hjorth

The reason it's there is streamlining the under car. Saves fuel. Part of the reason is also to reduce outside noise.

Like the man said, if you can change your own oil, you sure can unscrew 3 bolts.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

I have to jack up the car to lower the cover and remove the screws. If not for the cover, I could change the oil without putting it on jack stands. How do find out where to drill the hole for the drain plug? What about the oil filter? Larry

Reply to
L. Mormino

Drastisk! ;o)

Reply to