Radio reception

2002 A4 suddenly unable to pick up anything than the strongest FM channels, no longer retunes as you travel & lose signal, and has lost all RDS traffic reception capability. AM is fine. Sound familiar to anyone with the standard "concert" setup?

Service agent reckons it could be the signal amplifier, cost fitted about £220. Seems a lot as I could get new if slightly basic kit plus external aerial installed for this (I just want to listen to Radio 4UK and get traffic news, period. Not interested in hifi or in music of any description) So... £220 seems a lot of dosh to solve dodgy radio reception.... especially as he says there's no guarantee that the radio would work on FM/RDS again even after spending the £220!!!!

Anyone else has had and dealt with this problem? Is there an inexpensive DIY solution?

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Reply to
Barry Bingham

I had that problem in a '91 100 quattro. I am quite sure that the amp is still installed in the same location in the drivers side 'C' pillar ( just in front of rear window. the trim can be pulled inward to see the amp.

Check the wires for poor connection. That was the problem with mine. Disconnect and re-connect and reception was fine. Worst case would be to get one from an after market cource to save $$.

T> 2002 A4 suddenly unable to pick up anything than the strongest FM

Reply to
Tony

Is this a Concert 1 or Concert 2 system? To help with identification, the 1 has a cassette player and one knob in the centre. The 2 has a CD player and two knobs - one at either side.

If it's a '2', then would listening to R4 on long wave be acceptable?

On these units, LW reception is normally deactivated but can be enabled by the dealer, or anyone with VAG-COM.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Thanks. It has a CD player, so I guess it must be a concert 2.

Well, yes and I do. But I really miss the absence of the RDS traffic report feature... and when LW and FM programming varies, it's usually the FM prog I want to hear..

Reply to
Barry Bingham

Thanks for the tip. I'll have a go! Barry

Reply to
Barry Bingham