FM reception problem

Hi guys,

The FM radio reception in my 740 quite often has a lot of static. The problem seems to be location related, not rev related, so I know it's just a weak reception. But at places where I get weak reception in my 740, my cousin's S70 can still pick up the station crystal clear, and he also has just a factory Volvo system. I have tried a few different head units (all genuine Volvo) and the problem is still there, so I don't think the problem is in my head unit.

Can any of you guys suggest what to do / where to check for this problem? I was tempted to replace the entire antenna cable but is this necessary? Antenna mast was replaced only 2 years ago. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Rod Gray

Reply to
Rod Gray

Check for an aerial amplifier in the line from aerial to head. There was one on my 760 GLE which fortunately worked as it's power source had not been compromised.

I have a 164 now and a 66 and a 480 coming this weekend for my collection. Have you managed to get your 164 running again?

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Try grounding the cable shield, where the antenna cable starts on the body side of the vehicle...worked on my 745.....1990.....

h>

Reply to
sno

First by a cheap antenna and plug it directly into the radio, and see if that helps. If it's better, try it at the rear, plugged into the antenna lead. If it's good plugged in at the rear, measure the resistance from the tip of the extended existing antenna to the tip of the short lead that comes from it. (You can't check the lead in the car this way, there's capacitance built into it.) Often the connection and the base of the antenna, through the aluminum tube to that short lead can be bad due to corrosion.

Reply to
Mike F

do you have resister spark plugs in, if not they cut out much of the static which is a pain?

Reply to
John Robertson