Re: 2009 Audi A4 ?

Quattros are valuable only if your drive in difficult weather

>conditions such as encountered in cities like Montreal or Grenoble but >in sunnier countries they just cost more fuel. > >Quattro technology was developped for that famous Audi rally racing >car the Audi Quattro Coupe which was then needed to be sold in order >to have the right to participate in the World Cup Rallyes where they >dominated the scene for quite a while. > >Apart from that, a good FWD on a car such as a simple Audi 80 is just >more then enough. I cannot even get my car of the road and I can >handle roundabouts at very high speeds even in wet conditions. These >cars achieved unparalled levels of road holding which cannot even be >matched by a sporty Celica or the like (race that I did in the Alps >recently where this guy with his Celica could not follow me in the >curves).

I've been driving for 55 years. I've been driving Quattros for 23 years. I've driven rear wheel, front wheel, all wheel, and four wheel drive cars. I taught high performance driving to cops for ten years before I had to quit because of health problems. Nothing, *nothing* compares to Quattro. If you've ever driven one in the rain (it does rain where you are?), you would know the difference. When I say my RS6 can go zero to sixty in about 4.5 seconds, that includes dry AND wet pavement, and it is just a few ticks off in the snow. Stomp on a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive when the pavement is wet and you get lots of wheel spin. The same if there is snow on the ground. While Quattro does tend to understeer, it is nothing compared to a front wheel drive care.

My wife and I used to work the pro rally circuit in the States, namely the Maine Winter Rally. Our job was to run each stage from beginning to end and make sure nothing was wrong. We drove a 1990 Turbo-Quattro wagon. At times we drove several miles over logging roads with a foot of snow on the ground. Most of the cars entered were awd cars, with a few fwd and rwd. The awd cars *always* had faster times whether it was in snow or dry. Quattro rules!

BTW, "sporty Celica" is an oxymoron.

If you are going to buy an Audi, Quattro is the ONLY way to go, especially if it rains (or snows) where you live.

Dave RS6

Reply to
Dave LaCourse