Cant decide between Quest, Sienna, Oddesy

Hi,

I am about to reach the $30,000.00 for a new car (minivan, or should I buy something like a Nissan Pathfinder size SUV). Between the Toyota Sienna and the Nissan Quest I am struggling to choose. I am looking to buy it cash. Can some1 help me here? I tried the Toyota at A dealer's place in New York City. In Los Angeles I rented a Chrysler Town & Country for 1 day. The next day I rented a Nissan Quest for 1 day. The Nissan was really good. The Chrysler is now out of the picture. A Yellow Taxi which was a Toyota Sienna took us from the LGA Airport. I missed the Nissan quest. Its tempting but I wont give up on quality. I might find the Sienna smaller (interior) size, in a way less convinient but if its better in quality and of course in a comfortable ride I would go for the Toyota. Whats your suggestion, opinion and advice?

Oh.., If I go for the Toyota I would go for LE with 8 Seats and almost best package I can get with it.

Kind regards, Parent of 5.

Reply to
ERIC MACHIACH

I dont know how my name got misspelled in the original message. I am new on Newsgroups.

Reply to
Erina Mashes

It sounds like you are trying to decide between the Nissan Quest, Toyota Sienna, and a mid-size SUV.

If you have 5 children, an SUV will not be as convenient because it required moving seats forward to get into the third row of seats. Also, the 3rd row seats on most mid-size SUV's are not very roomy when compared to a full-size SUV or minivan.

Some other factors you may wish to consider for the candidate vehicles: Insurance rates - contact your agent or carrier for quotes Fuel economy Performance with all the passengers you usually carry Seating comfort in all seating positions Driveability - engine and wind noise, steering, handling, etc. Driving comfort Parkability - does it fit in your garage? How easy is it to park? Resale value - check kbb.com to see percentage of purchase price retained by older Nissan and Toyota vans. Consumer Reports recommendations

This is a Toyota forum so obviously, the majority of the responses you get will recommend the Sienna, with some pro-Ford and pro-Chrysler recommendations tossed in.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for your reply!

After reading your message to me I see I should stick for a minivan. I will not go for a Ford nor a Chrysler. They break down fast. My present car is a Buick LeSabre Which cant carry the entire family anymore. I LOVE my Buick! It has such a nice and smooth ride! I know that a minivan isnt as long lasting as a full size car and doesnt give such a pleasent ride, but capacity is a factor, but I still want the best in quality. For some reason the Chevy Venture and the Buick Terraza doesnt get good ratings. I know the Honda scores high but I dont like it. My only choice for now is the Nissan Quest and the Toyota Sienna. I will test drive them both with the whole family, but I still want to get feedback of the users here, and why I should choose one above the other. So if I choose I should have mind at peace.

Thanks again, Erina

"Ray O" wrote in message news:acac7$427ef7e5$180fead6$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com...

Reply to
Erina Mashes

My opinion go with the Sienna. Why? Because I own one and I like mine. Don't know anything about the other makes you mention. I've had my Sienna back for the radiator recall and other than that just oil changes in the past year and a half. Good ride, very peppy, lots of room, quiet, very tight turning circle, just a really nice vehicle. No rattles either. You'll like it.

Reply to
Dbu,^

You will find the 2004 and newer Siennas to be roomer than the older models. You must have had that taxie ride in a older sienna. BTW, mine is a LE.

Reply to
Dbu,^

Nissan Quest has been rated by JD Power and associates as poor in initial quality. Honda in my opinion will screw you on price because its their first year model. You can get a great deal with the Sienna. I have the AWD and I average 14 MPG. This is worse than my v-8 4 runner that averages 18 MPG. However, I think the Sienna is still breaking in.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Chrysler products are more reliable than GM. If you are satisfied with the reliability of the Buick you would be just as satisfied with the reliability of the Chyrsler van. The Nissan is likely to have more reliaiblity issues..... also any GM van would be big trouble. Toyota and Honda will be the most reliable but you will pay up front for it and probably get it back on trade in.

Reply to
Art

As usual, you are full of it!

Are you serious???!!! Even if it weren't for the tranny issues, a Crapsler minivan is still a proven unreliable piece of junk. Don't go recommending a Crapsler product just because you happen to have been lucky with them. Not all GM's are reliable, but the LeSabre seems to be one of their better cars.

Besides, the OP stated that she knows that Crapslers break down easily.

Even if she decides to keep it past the warranty period, the Sienna will most likely cost less to maintain in the long run than a Crapsler minivan.

Reply to
Imminent Vengeance

I think the poor initial quality numbers are a hold over from the previous model that was a joint Ford/Nissan venture (although from what I have read, most of the problems were related to the Nissan parts). Still Consumer Reports rates the Quest behind the Sienna and the Odyssey (but ahead of the domestic products). They don't give the Quest a check mark becasue of poor reliability, but agian that is mostly a hold over from the prior design and I don't trust CR's reliability rating anyhow. One nice feature of the Quest is fold flat second and third row seats. The Sienna can't do that.

It is still just a development of the prior version Odyssey. I have good friends who own one and it has been flawless. Of course they owned a Windstar before the Odyssey and it was trouble free as well. I guess some people are just lucky. Is the "new" Odyssey" any "newer" than the current Sienna in any important way?

I think you might need to have Toyota check your van. Consumer Reports averaged 19 mpg overall, and 23 mpg on their 150 mile loop. I usually find them on the low side of what I get. The EPA ratings were 19/26. Heck my SO get better than 20 in her worn out Plymouth Grand Voyager (160,000 miles and it shows).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Congratualation on your good QX4 and G20T.

My previous 2000 Nissan Maxima was a junk. If OP likes a fun car, New Nissan might be a candidate. However, the fun ends when the warranty expires. Otherwise, Toyota and Honda are simply more reliable and safer.

snipped-for-privacy@veriz>I am about to reach the $30,000.00 for a

I've owned Toyotas in the past and in the last year, have become acquainted with Nissan quality through their Infiniti line, first owning a G20T (GREAT car!) and now a QX4 SUV.

In the past, I confess to a snobbery towards any line except Toyota. I thought they were the only ones cranking out quality cars. Nissan's weren't going to be good enough for me. Well, I've changed my tune. Their logic within the cars is a cut above Toyota, IMO. You get more for your money with a Nissan/Infiniti, especially when buying used. One negative is they definitely lose value more quickly than a Toyota. That becomes a positive when you're a buyer like I was. The QX4 was thousands under a comparable RX300 used.

Go to Edmunds.com and read feedback comments on the Quest. See if owners are happy with their purchase and look for any problems that occur within that style. When I went there to read about the two Infiniti's, I was pleasantly surprised at how many "reliables" were posted about the brand.

I owned a new 2001 Lexus RX300 and now my used 2001 QX4 and I like the QX4 better, all the way around.

IMO, you really can't go wrong with the big three Japanese makers. I used to think Toyota was the only make for me. But, with an Acura and an Infiniti in our stable now, I've had to change my snobby way of thinking about the other brands besides Toyota.

Good luck with your decision!

Reply to
Guy

I have a friend on their second Windstar. Both have been troublesome, the first more than the second. The first one had an intermittent no-start, very loud power steering pump, and AC and alternator didn't work, in addition to some loose trim pieces.

The second Windstar also has a very loud power steering pump that sounds like it's ready to fail at any moment, several loose trim pieces, adjustable seats that didn't adjust until I cleaned and re-lubed the adjusters, and malfunctining power door locks.

Another friend is on their second Odyssey, both have been flawless.

Reply to
Ray O

You are comparing AWD mileage with FWD mileage. We have a FWD Sienna and we get 17 city/22 highway. The AWD Siennas have been getting lower gas mileage.

Reply to
ma_twain

Even if this is a Toyota forum, you will find issues. Power slding doors are nice until they stop working. Just my personal opinion, save your money and keep the manual sliding doors. Someone also reported the outside mirrors fold so you can park in tighter spaces. Someone reported he wore out his mirrors by folding it in and out daily for two for three years. We don't fold the mirrors to park, so I can't say if this is to be expected with daily use. We like our Sienna and we wil buy another when the time comes.

Reply to
ma_twain

Art,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I gather that the Nissan is good while new. I also remember that at 1st when we drove out the Nissan Quest 2005 from the rentel's parking lot and wanted to adjust the climate control on the pedestal I felt the junk knobs and thought that its going to break any second. I also realized that they rent Chryslers, Fords and Nissan and no other brand mini vans. It all shows that Nissan is made out of the cheaper group. But I LOVE the style, spacious and few wuite good ideas in the Quest. But I wouldnt trade it for higher quality more reliable minivan as the Sienna.

I disagree about GM vs. Chrysler. I think GM is a much more reliable make. My kids LOVED the Quest, me too, but I want it to last long long.

Thanks again, Erina

Reply to
Erina Mashes

Hiya,

I am almost done deciding on the Sienna.

But I wonder about the packages. We are aiming for the Sienna LE, 8 seater, package #6. But

- Does it have a CD player _and_ a Casette Player?

- Does the CD play MP3 files as well?

- How dark is the tint of glass? - Am I losing out on 16" tires vise 17" - Is the audio quality that good/better with 10 speakers mentioned in the Pkg# 7? - What is in-glass antena all about?

I wonder regarding the power sliding door, can it work manualy as well? Does the back hatch work with power as well?

Going for the 8 seaters I must setlle for an LE instead of an XLE. What I am losing out as far as comfort in ride and reliablity (LE vs XLE)? BTW, I dont like leather seats.

Sorry such questions. I am still in the learning curve when buying a brand new car with all the new technologies.

Thanks alot! If we go with the Sienna I see I have a place and nice people to hang out with. You are very helpful!!

THANKS!, Erina

Reply to
Erina Mashes

Hi again,

I was riding in the 2004 or 2005 Sienna. Since it was a taxi with the partition behind the driver's row it looked maybe smaller. But I think the Quest felt roomier, and bigger seats, where the Chrysler's seats were even bigger mainly in the 3rd row. But quality comes 1st on my list.

On the toyota the colors arent as nice as on Nissan Quest where the seats are very stylish and rich in fabric quality and design.

regards, Erina

You will find the 2004 and newer Siennas to be roomer than the older

Reply to
Erina Mashes

Hi,

May I ask whats so great about AWD? Well, I have to go with an 8 seater so I dont know why I am even asking about AWD (vs FWD) bothering you guys.

regards, Erina

Reply to
Erina Mashes

Hi

How aboutsun roof all over the Quest? Nicer colors? Bag hooks (vs. so many cup holders)?