Re: 2009 Audi A4 ?

Dave, I respect you're experience and opinion, but I will have to

>refuse the implication that people not buying a Q for their own >reasons are cheapskates or making false decisions. > >For the record: I don't doubt that the Q is better than the FWD, but >the F is by any means still an extremely good car.

Wolfgang, I don't think people are cheapskates for buying the fwd Audis, but I do feel that the entire reason for buying an Audi is the Quattro system. Audi didn't make their money on fwd cars. When they came out with the Quattro here in the states (82, 84?) their sales began to rise. There are scores of fwd cars out there, many of them good, but there is only one Quattro along with numerous other awd systems that are inferior. I would venture a guess that Quattro accounts for 98% of sales in the U.S.

Audi dominated the rally scene in Europe and the States during in the

80s because of Quattro. Their entry into racing was also very successful. I believe they dominated much of the Euro racing in those days and each win caused them a weight penalty. The Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) would not allow Quattros in any of their race classes because of the distinct advantage over rwd and fwd. Audi and their Quattro have dominated any number of race scenes, but especially LeMans in recent years, and the Petite LeMans series here in the States.

I have driven many fwd Audis at Audi sponsored driving events and they do not compare to Quattro. They are good cars, no doubt about that, but my choice for any car would be Quattro or rwd. If Audi was suddenly to stop production of Quattro, my next choice would be the Nisson GT-R or one of the MBs AMGs. It would not be an Audi fwd. And, I agree with you that the Audi fwd is an extremely good car.

Be well,

Dave RS6

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

There are at least two types of Quattro system.

The longitudinal engine in an A4 A5 A6 A8 S4 S6 (et cetera) has Torsen full time 4wd, whereas the transverse engine in the A3 S3 TT (et cetera) has the Haldex electronic controlled clutch system which is not full time 4wd, but front wheel drive most of the time.

Best regards

David

Reply to
David Skelton

I begin to understand the different preception now.

I just checked Audis used car website in Austria and of all Audis currently offered there (~3600 units) ~ 1200 are Quattros. All others are obviously Fronts.

Audis had a fairly good reputation in europe already long before they increased their sales in the US, so we have a different perception. In the premium class over here basically only Mercedes, BMW and Audi dominate. Lexus here has a very hard time to even be acknowledged as a high class car (Lexus owners: no offense)

I agree, but one could also see that as an excellent marketing plot because, and let me play the devils advcate now, for the daily commute on the motorway in california (BTDT) you don't need a Q.

I understand and agree that the reason for their big success in competition conditions is the quattro. However, I assume you've made the same experience, that is between racetrack and daily real world driving complete universes exists.

You too, Dave

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to