Replacing Fuel Pump

How hard is it to replace the fuel pump on a 86 Q5000S? Also what is the difference between the Bosch and Pierburg fuel pumps?

Reply to
durangoman

Durangoman, It's not too hard to do, although it's a far sight better to do when it's warm outside instead of bitterly cold (when pumps usually fail, unfortunately). Step 1: Know that gasoline is flammable/explosive and dangerous to your health. Always read and follow warnings before picking up tools. Steps 2 through N:

some have had success with the Pierburg units, though as shown inScott Mockry's site the Pierburg requires some shimming.Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears

I replaced the Bosch with a Pierburg a year ago in my '91 100q. I was not aware of any shimming. It just popped in and replaced the old one easily.

Run your tank low on fuel b4 replacing because you need to reach to the bottom of the tank.

The Peirburg is nice and quite. I like it.

T> Durangoman,

Reply to
Tony